Big Herring Feather Brain [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Herring Feather Brain

striblue
02-10-2004, 10:54 AM
9 inch long herring on an 8/0 trey Combs big game. Super huge spreader....only one spreader. The tail is tyed traditionally with flashaobou, Olive Rooster cock extends about an inch for the tail. Then White saddles tye high and low... then inner angel hair with 6 applications of white rooster, then 4 applications of pale blue rooster cock (3 and 2 on each side)... topped with long thin blue saddle on top.

striblue
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Here is the top down in hand...this fly is very light. and will be used during the spring herring run.

FishHawk
02-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Like to see that fly in action. FishHawk:devil:

juro
02-12-2004, 07:50 AM
That was fast!

That top profile tells it all... most flies lack the real fish look, that design says "super-size it".

The mack you tie with the grizzly must also look very good from the top / bottom. One of the troubles I see a lot with mack patterns is getting the torpedo shape and diameter of tinkers.

To quote the pengiun... "nice stuff Johny scissorhandz"

Penguin
02-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I've been messin' with tubes again...
The general appearance is getting there but...:confused:
I'm still not too happy about the hook placement, which seems a bit far behind the head...trying ideas to move it forward a bit but inthemeantime...:rolleyes:
Here's a BIG HerringTubePhly (12")...:D
Suggestions are now being accepted...

juro
02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
A thing of beauty Pete! Although I can't vouch for the authenticity of the 12" unless you actually send one to me for an official measurement (quiet ROOP!) :devil:

Doc Duprey
02-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Awesome, Pete! Looks like the long winter on the Cape has inspired you. So can you share the method to this magnificence? It is a very interesting looking fly.

Best regards,

-Doc

Penguin
02-12-2004, 11:07 PM
That's how they start...
Thanks for the kind words but, complimenting me is like feeding a stray cat!

Juro...gimme' a user friendly Atlantis Herring Launcher course and, instead of an apple, it's yours...

Doc...I've got a slick HMH tube tye device and a Nor-Vise Tube Fly Head...both work well....in spite of me...
I've found some "auto air shock" high pressure nylon hose that supports the thread compression and fits the jig...sofarsogood!
Figuring on a 2 inch tube with a little extra up front for the head and at the rear for the soft tube that holds the hook eye in place.
I dress the tube with some body braid and start layering feathers fur and flash while blending colours...sorta' freestyle tying?!
I don't start with a set procedure but build up the body with whatever seems to insinuate the desired bait shape and shade.
There's some deciever/flat wing/hi tye/low tye/hollow tye...a real pound pup but I hesitate to say it's an original because as soon as I do I'll have to fall on my vise AGAIN! (ain't pretty!)

When pounced on by a hungry striped Schnauzer, the hook should separate as the tube slides up the leader reducing any leverage and structural distress...

I'm working on getting the hook closer to the head...shorter shank, etc...some ideas to play out but that's the phun part...R&D

Come visit Area 61 and we can tye up a storm and if you bring phood I'll show you the secret hand shake! SOON! :D

juro
02-12-2004, 11:18 PM
The hook separation is an important thing in steelhead country, in fact the use of more sticky hook shapes like the Nordic single is a major advantage in holding on to what you hook - but in our neck of the woods it can spell BITE-OFF.

I've had a blue deftly remove a tube fly while another was on the hook. Thinking I was clever, I hid a steel leader thru the tube so blue #1 was not getting away. Unfortunately blue #2 saw the flailing tube fly and came over for a bite!

Methods to keep things intact include round toothpicks, rubber bands. The toothpick is inserted and snapped off flush.

Tubes offer creative ways to extend flies beyond the shank of the hook, allowing for longer bodies like squid mantles.

Nice stuff!

Penguin
02-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I hadn't really thought through the marauding Blue scenario!
Initially I'll be using these way up the creeks in Herringland and hopefully I won't be singing the Blues!
Points well taken!
Weshallsee!
:eyecrazy:

striblue
02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Pete..that looks perfect!... I will want to see this tube devise since I want to look into tying that way as well.

Penguin
02-13-2004, 09:57 AM
John...
The HMH tube fly kit comes with several (3) different size mandrils to support various size tubes and can be used on any good rotary vise...That's my best pick!:D
The Nor-Vice tube phly head is sweet but you need the Nor-Vise to hang it on...'only comes with one rather stout mandril...gotta' improvise!

Eddie
02-13-2004, 01:16 PM
hey Pete, do you tie in a keel or any thig to make sure the fly rides right? On these bigger tube flys, I'm concerned that the weight of the hook might not be enough. I have tied some big flys and not had problems, but I was wondering if you do anything special. Do you use junction tube? Nice flys.

Doc Duprey
02-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Pete,

Done! I'll bring food, wine or whatever...but these flies are amazing. Obviously, being cooped up on the Cape all winter has not harmed your fly tying skills.

Best regards,

-Doc

Penguin
02-13-2004, 02:10 PM
The eye of the hook is held in place by a small piece of soft "junction" tube with the hook point in the down position...
In the case of larger flys, I try to make the top of the fly longer and the hydrodynamic drag factors cause it to swim upright...
Drag it at higher speeds (trolling or manic retieve) and all bets are off as even a brick will plane...'still game for macs, tuna, and other toothy swift preditors.
'Same idea when I tye my PharSide hook-up phlys...normal retrieve and the high tyed material causes drag which convinces the fly to ride upright. :smokin:

I'll bring a few of these to Wilmington for show-and-tell :p

You're ON, Doc! 'Will tye for phood! :chuckle:

jimS
02-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Nice looking flies! If you are concerned about the hook being too far back on a long tube fly, one approach would be to make it jointed. Since bass have a tendency to engulf prey headfirst, a short tube with the junction tubing and hook followed by another tube is a possibility. This would require a two hook fly. Tippet thru the first tube and attach the hook with a palomar knot with a trailer tippet to attach hook at the back of terminal tube.

Simms

Doc Duprey
02-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Pete,

Mrs. Doc says "Hmm...these tube phlies work just like a costume on a stripper. No wonder they reach 12 inches!"

I wonder what she means?

She also said "OK...I'll play in the Penguin's kitchen while you boyz go play in the bunker. But I get some of the flies!" Considering her cooking skills, I think it's a good deal.

BTW, are you coming to Newport on the 21st?

Best regards,

-Doc, Mrs. Doc and the Doc-lings

Penguin
02-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Jim...Thanks for your input...
I tried a different approach and stacked the tubes...Long one on top, shorter one with the junction tube on the bottom.
Both were joined by the epoxy head...see photo...
Less filling/Tastes GREAT!:tsktsk:

Doc...If Marge cooks we can tye out on the new back SUN room...
Much more civilized than the bunker and better light/closer to the kitchen...LIFEISGOOD!
BTW...I'm working at the Springfield Sportsmans Show 19&20 and the morning of the 21st (Capt Brown/BillFish), but I'll be rolling into Newport around noon! Save me a hall pass!:D

HerringWorkInProgress...
Stacked tubes lets me move the hook forward...
I like the colours of the first one better...the second one has a better hook placement...that's what happens when you don't follow a script...Evolution? Darwin would be amused!:hehe:

Adrian
02-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Nice job Pete - elegant solution too! I was playing around trying to make a channel in the side of the tube to accept the hook but the internal dia. of the tube I have is too narrow. Stacked tubes opens up a lot of possibilities

jfbasser
02-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Great looking flies, Pete. I think you have made Emu status with those!:D