Info Needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Info Needed

steelheadmike
02-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Anyone out there have a recipe for a Large ( 8-14 inch ) fly that produces Vibration and / or Rattle that is still relatively light? Will be casting it from a boat so accuracy and delicacy is not to much of a factor but I also dont need a sash weight on the end of the line either.

Anyone have a suggestion?

JimW
02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Buffy- Sails through the air like a kite on QD 325. It pushes a lot of water and I don't see why you couldn't put a rattle in it. This is my favorite adult herring pattern. Warning - they do take a while to tie and they do foul easily so bring a brush.

I am interested in the Sedotti slammers as an alternative to the fouling buffies, just haven't put in much time at the vice lately.

juro
02-09-2004, 05:12 PM
The ones I've been impressed with lately are Bob Popovics flared bucktails and Dave Skok's full size baitfish pattern. Actually, I am also very impressed with Mark Sedotti's because it is meticulously balanced for castability.

I am also hoping to do something unique for this spring. I know it's a fleeting time of year (the herring run) but it's a chance to kick it all off with a BANG verses the usual spring schoolie fest.

Wes
02-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Mark Sedotti also tied a Slammer type fly with Bozo hair but Yak hair works great and they're pretty easy to tie. It's weighted very much like the Slammer which makes them easier to cast even for my chuck and duck style. I think you could tie a rattle into any of them, I've seen several Buffies with rattles. I've been using doll eyes which rattle a little. Recipe for the Bozo Slammer is entombed in a virus stricken PC behind me. If I can extricate it I'll send it along.

Tying up some herring patterns?

capt shiner
02-10-2004, 12:13 AM
I watched him tie up a big (12-16") slammer last month at the somerset show. For a bunker, pogie or whatever he takes a 8/0 or 9/0 gama octopus and takes the offset out, this will make the fly track straight. First tie in a piece of 60 lb braided wire (only used if bloofish are around) on top of the shank, through the eye and underneath shank. Then wrap shank w/ .03 lead wire. Then cut 15-18, 1/2" to 1" pieces of .03 lead. If using 15 pieces of lead, tie in 5 right above the point of the hook under the shank. Then layer next 5 under that and finally the last 5 so that you have a keel. The rest is simple, just hi-tie yak hair up the shank and slap on some big eyes. This upcoming season is my first attempt at tossing them, actually I plan on drifting them on leadcore when the bunker show up en masse in May :D Here's my version of the fly.

capt shiner
02-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Can't figure out how to get the pic small enough to post:(

steelheadmike
02-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Last year while fishing I did a few tests.

#1 I used a Buck Tail Jig with limited success. Why? Stripers LUV white bucktails right?

#2 Added a rubber shad to the back.... produced 10X's better.

#3 Threw out Storm wild eye. If retrieved to slow ( no vibration from the tail ) it was ignored. If ripped pretty quick ( could feel the vibration in the rod ) I hooked up almost 100% of the time.

I figured that in the COLD COLD water ( 40 and under ) fish are less likely to strike by a visual response. They need to feel vibration before they will move.

I actually have spoken to alot of regulars out there and they all think the same thing. We all have spent countless hours tossing every lure and fly known to man. The lures that work the best ( regardless of color ) are ones that produce alot of vibration. Flys get real productive once the water is over 40 consistantly and even pushing into the 50's.

So now Im looking for a fly that will give a profile but will also vibrate to stimulate thier lateral line.

Adrian
02-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Mike

Dan Blanton's patterns like the Seaducer and Whistler work on those principles. Those flies work well for stripers in the muddy waters of SF Bay where visual stimulus is negated by low visibility. Bushy deerhair heads and stiff hackle collars send out good vibes to "tickle the latteral lines". For rattles, Orvis does rattle eyes and some of the plastic doll-eyes have loose plastic pupils which rattle ( these tend be make the fly very buoyant ) - but no problem if you're throwing 'em on a very fast sink head.

Looking forward to doing some experimenting with you this season ;)

flyfisha1
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM
I've tied many of Bob Pop's candy patterns with a glass rattle in the belly (covered the rattle with pearlescent braided mylar such as EZ Body). I don't see why, in the quest to toss really big flies at these fish, that one or more of the large rattles couldn't be incorporated into the pattern. Heck, you could place them wherever you want on the shank and create a keel if need be. Rattles would create a clatter more than vibration, I realize, but it might be enough to hold the fish's attention.

JimW
02-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Here are a couple of the I fished last year. You could fit a small baby ratlle in 'em. The spreader keeps the fly from folding flat and pushes a lot of water.