Getting Back to fly fishing: need suggestions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Getting Back to fly fishing: need suggestions

bleeb
02-07-2004, 07:32 AM
After putting down the ole bamboo in 1980, I've decided to get back into fly fishing. I currently fish all sorts of cold and warm freshwater venues with ultra-lite and light spin and casting gear, and want to get back into the woods for small-stream (and I mean small) brookies. Santa gave me a gift certificate for Orvis, so I went to the local Orvis outlet and saw two rods that interested me - a 6'6" Superfine One-Ounce 2wt. for $206, and a 7'9" custom 3 wt. full-flex with the Trident TL blank and hardware, for $276. The latter was made for executive employees of a Japanese company, and is an new "overstock" with the 25-year warranty. The Superfine is refurbished and has a one-year warranty. I really like the Superfine's short length and feel, yet the Trident has even more flex, and has the warranty. I've labored too long over this decision, even the decision to go with a full flex, rather than mid. I remember the shoots I did with the bamboo with little or no back cast, and am wondering if a mid flex could load better with less effort for those short (under 20') casts in the bushy creeks. I know it's personal preference, but a little help is probably all I need to push me one way or the other. Thanks.:eyecrazy:

juro
02-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Well it seems you're getting back into this in a big way!

I've done a share of brookie fishing mostly in New Hampshire, Maine, and some in Western Massachusetts. From the descriptions, I would guess that you will be roll casting a lot and possibly fishing with double taper lines on occasion when not shooting long casts.

My guess would be that either the mid-flex or full-flex will suit your purposes fine, because either will do the job.

I have owned both of the styles you described in other brands and used the rod for both stillwater and brooks. I preferred the full-flex for brooks but didn't like it in stillwater, where distance is valuable. So I went to a tighter flex and I didn't like it as much on the stream as my old light-liner.

In the end I decided I needed both! (I'm no help eh?) :)

bleeb
02-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks Juro.... I will be using double tapers and yes, roll casting most of the time. However, with the bamboo rod I was able to flick my wrist almost sidearm and shoot line out for soft landings at less tha 20 feet. Forgive me for not knowing the technical term for this. I believe the line was overweighted for the rod, because I hadn't a clue about that stuff when I was a kid. I have mastered that casting technique over the years, with my favorite full flex extra-ultralite 6' custom spinning rod (built it myself). I can throw everything but dry flies with that spinning rig. Could I do that with a mid flex fly rod, and would the mid flex actually work better with that kind of cast?

I was afraid of a response including your last sentence! I already have accumulated many, many rods, from 12' saltwater to 4 1/2' freshwater, some of which I built, some others built and off-the -shelf rigs. All have a specific purpose (I have 5 ultralites, for instance), and I was hoping to get away with one small-stream trout fly rod. Guess not.... Between the fishing equipment and the guns, my wife will kick my butt iffen she sees a new series of new fly rods. Oh well....I due for a rashin'...I've been so good lately!

John Desjardins
02-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm going to sound like an echo of Juro. For small brushy streams I use a slow 6'6" 3 wt with a double taper. Its great until your making casts of ~ 30'. Above that distance I find that I want a longer and faster rod for easier casting and line control after the cast. Throwing a mend is a lot easier with a couple of extra feet of rod.
Unfortunately I've also led you into the multiple rod dilemna. Maybe try the UL rods to throw a fly line?

bleeb
02-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks John.... Actually, I'll always be subject to the multiple rod dilemna... why should I try to be any different than other hardcore fishermen? However, noticeably absent from yours and Juro's responses, and all the other archived threads on this subject, is the warrantee issue. I should be buying a rod, not the warranty. I'm gonna have to get the 6'6" Superfine 2wt....it's a sweet stick. I'll could throw on a leftover Battenkill large arbor, which is fairly light (50% off with rod purchase), and it should be sweet. I'll try the Orvis Wonderline DT, but I like what I hear of the Rio lines.

I have some time to dream, because tomorrow I have to undergo right rotator cuff surgery.... All those years of nightly surfcasting....

2HandTheSalt
02-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I would go with the shorter rod also. I am using a TFO 6' 2-weight for this kind of fishing, lined with either a 4 or 5-weight line. It is just the ticket for short delivery on brush-covered streams.

I used to fish a Superfine 7'11" 4-weight and thought it was a fine trout rod.

bleeb
02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
I just stopped by the Orvis Outlet today. They got in two custom "Yamame Special" 6'9" mid flex (6.0 index) 4 wt. It's built on a Superfine blank...it's a Superfine for all intent and purpose. The 6'6" Superfine 2 wt. I was going to buy is a 5.5 index flex. The Yamame sure felt sweet, though. Just when I thought my mind was made up.... A 4 wt. would be more versatile....

I hope to achieve clarity under anesthesia during my operation tomorrow!

wsgarvey
02-08-2004, 10:03 PM
I personally believe that less than 7'6" or less than 3-4 wt is a specialized rod -- a joy to fish in those specialized situations, but not a primary go-to rod. Even in small stream situations.

I fish small water in Wisconsin and until this year, my main small water rod was a 7'6 4 wt. This coming year it will be replaced with an 8' 3wt (Loomis Presentation) though I am still eyeing the Orvis Trout Bum (7' 4wt) as a fill-in rod.

For a starting and thus a primary rod, I'd go heavier and longer.

bleeb
03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Well, after several months of typical over-analysis, I bought the custom "Yamame Special" 6'9" mid flex (6.0 index) 4 wt, and a Battenkill LA I reel at the Orvis Outlet. The combo has a really nice balance to it. I got an offer I couldn't refuse... I figure that rod will give me a measure of flexibility (pun intended) over a full-flex 2wt. Thanks for all your help, and I'll let you know how it works out....as soon as my shoulder heals. Hopefully that will coincide with April 1.