Help Before it's too late [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Help Before it's too late

Willie Gunn
05-28-2001, 03:04 PM
Hi Everyone.

I have had a disasterous start to this season. I have yet to catch a fish. I have caught plenty of kelts, but no fresh fish. Depression is setting in on Saturday I fished the Connon ( Scotland ) from 9 am till 11 30 when it became too dark to continue, not a touch.

What does everyone else do. Rabbits foot, change of underwear, right wading boot before left ? Come on chaps I need advice quickly I have a weeks salmon fishing in a fortnight.

Adrian
05-28-2001, 03:12 PM
I would try putting all my loose change in my left rear pocket, that's an old caddies cure for a bad case of the shanks!

If that fails there's always the single malt!

Tight lines Willie, the other way of thinking about it is that you're increasing your credit towards a career best day.

John Desjardins
05-28-2001, 11:09 PM
I hate to say it but the only way out of the skunk thats ever worked for me is to keep trying, and insure that all tackle is in tip top shape for when you finally get a bite.

juro
05-29-2001, 09:59 AM
Hate to admit it but I get superstitious sometimes, for fun of course. I used to fish with a friend who had a 'slammin song'. US slang slam for hot action. It was 'doo-wa-didee' of all songs! He used it judiciously, and never intentionally - but when it popped into his head and he started singing it... look out!

My daughter at a very young age got into that brightly colored clay that is baked hard as a rock. She made me two icons - one for safe travels, the other for luck in fishing. I used to fly a lot (over 500,000 frequent flyer miles) and it's no secret I love to fish so I've kept these treasures safe and handy to this day.

Of course we've seen the fable... Nae Macallan.... ;D

Willie Gunn
06-17-2001, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone.
I just wish to report I scored on Saturday. A nice 4lb grilse,I was getting suicidal after spending bthe entire week fishing with only one small seatrout. Interestingly I was broken twice, I was fishing with a 10ft 7 weight Sage, this is much smaller than I'm used to, I usually use a 13- 16 ft double handed rods. On both occassions the fish took the dropper and made a strong downstream run followed by a jump which snapped the dropper. The knot did not break as I got the tail fly back. I was using 6lb nylon as the water was low, hence the little rod. I do not know how you new worlders manage with these little rods.

juro
06-18-2001, 09:53 AM
Congrats Willie! Sounds like you were hooking up even when not landing anything.

I'll tip a glass of the Glenmorangie tonight in honor of this salmon!