Flytying for beginners [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flytying for beginners

Martin
05-23-2001, 05:07 AM
I must eat humble pie and confess that I don't tye my own flies - yet. I don't feel like a complete flyfisher without doing that. ;) Can I get any information on the basics somewhere online?

/Martin, "Who should be out fishing now...or tying flies. ;)"

jared
05-24-2001, 02:05 PM
It DOES add a little something to the process if you've created that which fools a fish.....where are you located? I'd suggest taking some classes at a local shop/club/ or with someone who ties. There are only a few techniques which, once learned, will get you up and running.

DO NOT BUY A KIT!!

In fact, don't buy anything until you've determined that tying really is for you.

--jared

ccflies
05-24-2001, 05:10 PM
Although tying is good fun there is quite a lrage initial cost if you do it properly. I would recommend popping in to your local shop and asking to try out tying to see if you could face doing it for the rest of your life!

Make sure you want to do it and then go for it - you won't look back.

Regards

CCFlies

linesides
05-24-2001, 05:19 PM
The bare essentials for a few basic flies
- Vise
- Scissors
- Thread bobbin(s)
- Bodkin (needle with a handle)
- Hooks
- Thread
- Materials (depends on the pattern)
- Head cement

Materials for a wooly bugger (good fly to learn) include:
- long shank hook
- chenille
- hackles
- marabou
- thread
- head cement

For tying most freshwater flies you should also have:
- Hackle pliers
- Whip finisher (matarelli)

If you do deer hair:
- Hair stacker
- razor blades

If you do fuzzy bodies:
- Dubbing tool
- Dubbing wax

There are a few fundamental things you need to learn, then from there you can control your own destiny! ;-)

GregS
05-25-2001, 09:37 AM
Martin,

There are many websites with fly tying instructions available. Here are a couple:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/
From the home page go click on Fly Tying, then follow the beginner string.

http://tie-1-on.net/index.htm
Good beginner instructions with pictures.

http://www.troutflies.com/new_index/_store_index.htm
More instructions.

In addition to the instructions on these sites, look at their Links page and go surfing. I have just started to scratch the surface...

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions, participants on this site are always willing to answer and help out.

Greg

juro
05-25-2001, 09:57 AM
Since you fish for seatrout in the salt, I think some of our striper flies or western coho salmon flies will work. Can you email me a mailing address? I will send a few flies to Copenhagen to try out.

What are the main forage species?

Anyone else wanting to include their salty flies in the package, send them to:

Flyfishing Forum
PO Box 58
Groton MA 01450

The only obligation Martin - please send photos of what you catch! :)

Eddie
05-25-2001, 03:38 PM
I think that the best way to start is to get the Randal Kaughman Tying Nymphs book. This book has a great progresion, and good solid info. I think it has the best illustrations too. Not cheap, but a good investment. Buy what you need as you need it. Buy the best you can afford. A kit will load you up with poor stuff. Pick the brains of the flyshop guys. If they can't help you, ask around(and spend elsewhere). As you get into it, the dry fly book is excellent as well.

Martin
05-25-2001, 05:47 PM
juro (05-25-2001 09:57 a.m.):
[SNIP]

Can you email me a mailing address? I will send a few flies to Copenhagen to try out.

What are the main forage species?

You are actually going to send me some flies from US?? I will accept them eagerly - thanks, Juro. :) And in return I promise to send words describing (and pictures) of my fishing success. ;)

Concerning forage species the seatrout is especially fond of the Polychaeta (the marine, segmented worms) like Nereis and lugworms. Other species include shrimps, sand eels and smaller fish living in the eelgrass and seaweed belts.

Best regards,

Martin

Martin
05-25-2001, 06:01 PM
GregS, thanks for the web addresses - even now I am sure that flytying is a hobby worth spending both time and money on.