When will cold let up? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: When will cold let up?

longrod
01-31-2004, 05:20 PM
I could not sleep this morning so I decided to make a drive to see if there was any open water. I found some on the ocean side of Great Neck in Ipswich.
The Ipswich River was frozen solid.
The Parker River further up 1A was frozen solid. Stopped for coffee then went out to take a look at Joppa Flat, You guessed right frozen as far as you could see. Went out on the beach and even that was like walking on concrete.
Please, someone show me the Sun.
:(

juro
01-31-2004, 07:36 PM
I saw the icicles had water dripping off them in the afternoon today and was overjoyed at the sight of liquid water that was not coming from a faucet! Actually that hasn't been working too well lately unless I thaw the pipes.

Hard to imagine summer... I think I remember... so far away...

Penguin
01-31-2004, 10:13 PM
...When it gets WARMER! :hehe:

Try not to think about it...sorta' like waiting for water to boil or, perhaps more appropriately, an ice cube tray to freeze...
...ONLY 3 months until April Fool's Day...
I'll have wet a line by then to celebrate and greet the running of the schnauzer stripes!
Nonetoosoon!!! :D

juro
01-31-2004, 11:56 PM
You're right Pete!

In fact duration-wise it's only two months to April fools! I go scouting right after tax day, which always seems to get here too quickly. So looking at the bright side, it won't be too long before we're fishin' and not wishin! :smokin:

rooster
02-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Not to bug folks too much...., but I am currently visiting the wifes family in Honolulu.....,it is 81 degrees with a slight trade wind blowing. It is supposed to get cold tonight..., I think the news said 60 degrees......,
I'm thinking of all my striper buddies......, :hehe: :hehe:
ALOHA,
DK

Penguin
02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Howley Boy...
They'll be bustin' up the furniture on the lanai for fire wood!
The Governor will be calling out the National Guard!
Pineapple futures are going nutzo...

'Hope you brought a some fleece...
Don't stop moving!
'Fall asleep and you could die from hypothermia!:hehe:

ps
Did I say 3 months?! What a bone-head!
Obviously IMPAIRED! Brain freeze!
I can do 2 months standing on my lips!
Bring on the Schnauzers!!!:D

rooster
02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Howzit Bro,
Its Haole Boy to you!!
'tis a tough job, but somebody has to do it!
Starting the May countdown!
Aloha

Lefty
02-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by juro
You're right Pete!

In fact duration-wise it's only two months to April fools! :smokin:

Being a "cup is half full" type, I see it like this.

6 months we fish
6 months we don't

We're only halfway. :devil: (don't kid yourself, April fishing is a joke, mid to late May is real).

Besides, the groundhog saw his shadow.

Dble Haul
02-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Lefty

We're only halfway. :devil: (don't kid yourself, April fishing is a joke, mid to late May is real).

Not if you fish the coast of Connecticut! :D

Adrian
02-05-2004, 01:43 PM
And there's that place called "Joizey" too.

Yes folks, there is life south of Hartford:devil:

Late March, Housy estuary, 6wt or 7wt - non stop action :smokin:

BigDave
02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
If you trout fish like me it's 9 months fishing 3 months off. Much easier to deal with.

GL spring steel is only a thaw away! :devil:

steelheadmike
02-05-2004, 02:21 PM
If yall take up steelhead & trout one can fish all year!!! By the way my striper fishing should be starting in 2-3 weeks depending on weather. I almost forgot I went out on 1/03 and slayed them!!!

The longest we have to wait out here in NY ( where I live ) is 2 months with no fishies. :D

Wes
02-05-2004, 05:31 PM
You know Mike, this week we've seen the first temps above freezing here since you posted your last striper trip on 1-03. :whoa:

Adrian
02-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Mike

2-3 weeks on the Hudson? Looked like a lot of major ice floes down at GWB last Friday. Do you have clear water further upstream - sounds interesting!:smokin:

tglynos
02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm new to salt water fly fishing, and I am getting more and more excited as the days go on until my first day on the water. Being new to the sport, after asking around and doing some reading, it seems like striper season begins in late March and early april down here in Beautiful Jersey. Is this true, and can anyone give me some ideas on good places to start out at? By the way, they say that down here at Sandy Hook, the view and the smell is more beautiful than those beaches up in Chatam, MA.

steelheadmike
02-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Now that I think about it, last year I launched out of Peekskill around the last week in Feb and drove the boat down to the Marina. I recall dodging some HUGE ice chunks on my way down to the slip. With that in mind I fished that afternoon amongst the ice an rip-rap and still managed to catch more than a dozen.

I spoke to my uncle who is a herring netter last night and we disgussed when the fish will show. He said he had walked out on the ice the other day... drilled a hole and set up a Tip Up... low and behold after 15 minutes had a 9.6lb fish! They are there.. just have to wait for mother nature to warm things up a smidge.

We also disgussed where the heck the fish go at low tide. We both know the same old timers as well both fish around the same # of days on the river. After comparing our experiences and our "word of mouth " info we both came up with the same location. Would love to share it but..... you know the drill .. loose lips sink ships. But those of you who join me this year will get the skinny.

Oh and before I forget.... I heard a rumor that a few fish were caught in one of the Tribs .. via boat. Have to check it out myself to believe it though.

Adrian
02-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Mike

I gotta get out there with you this year!

steelheadmike
02-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Adrian,

Just let me know ... day or night. I think ive extended the offer to a few others as well. Sounds like when the weather warms we will have a mini Hudson Clave.

To those who have Yaks or small craft that would like some launch info just give me a hollar.