Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tuna Pic!

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  yukon delta 
#1 ·
Hi guys.
Thought i would add a pic of my very first bluefin. Next to my children being born, this fish is the greatest thrill of my life.
Around 750lb and just over two hours to bring to boat. This guy took the kite-mackeral and that in itself was a thrill! I'll never forget watching that green kite getting ripped from the shy!
Sept, 06 2003. Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne Miller
><)))*>

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
RE: Beach fishing.

Hi Guys.
Thanks for the kind words Striblue , and I am sorry about the quality of the picture. No, I didnt get the tail, however i did get the head-steaks from this one and they were delicious. I also managed to save the hook and about 1' of leader so that is part of a shadow-box mount.
Juro, i was aboard a 43' lobster boat-doubling as a Tuna boat and we were about 7 miles from shore at time of hook-up.
The procedure we used was to cut the engines and make a 2 hour drift over the good spots. We had two rods out with one mackeral each as a down-bait(live) and on the down wind side we used the kite to keep another mackeral at the suface and about200-300yds from the boat. Both fish that week were on the kite!
For those of you who know the area, we were 7miles off Sight Point- Inverness, Cape Breton.
As an aside....You know you are in a fishing town when they sell cans of beer in the pop machines(at the harbor) for $2.00!!!!
regards
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.