Western Candies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Western Candies

FrenchCreek
01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
I finally got around to tying some Candy flies, trying to copy patterns given to me by Capt. Art S and by slinger.
I plan to use these on pike and trout, just for the heck of it, and bring them to the Eastern seaboard when I return.
Hook: Mustad Signature #C71SS Circle streamer size 2
Underbody: Metallic Needle Craft yarn (I bought this at a sewing supply store my wife likes to go to, it's like braided Krystal Flash, really neat stuff!)
Wing: Used a variety of Puglisi fibre hair for the olive & white one and Krystal flash in between the two colors. On the blue one, I used variuos Fish Hair fibres, stiffer than the PF material.
Body: Medium EZBody (Pearl), colored with markers on the top & sides. Initial light coat of Epoxy, second coat over the front end only. (I wanted a fly hat was not as heavy as the full epoxy bodies I was given, so I went real light on the epoxy)
Eyes: Prism tape eyes
Overall length of the fly is 3 inches

I'm not sure if these fit correctly in this archive but since they came from the SW I figured this would be OK.
I don't consider myself a very accomplished SW tyer so please critique these and this will only improve my skills and improve my comfort with this type of fly. I'm still "overwhelmed" when I see the stuff you guys do!

FrenchCreek
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
The first one I called Blue Candy, this one I called Olive Candy

striblue
01-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Pete.. they look perfect and nice colors... should be attractors as well as good imitators.

FishHawk
01-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Nice tie Pete. Wait till a linesides get to take one of those flies.
FishHawk:D

BigDave
01-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Very nice,

The second one would make a good juvie sand eel pattern.

DFix
01-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Nicely done, Pete!