Fly Fishing Forum banner

Want to protect your Refuge Use--Get involved

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
FishHawk is on the right track. There are some huge changes coming. In 2006 the Monomoy Comprehensive Conservation Plan will be developed (other wise known as CCP). This one large document will determing what CAN and CAN NOT be done on the Refuge. Right now the only organized group dealing with the CCP is the Neighbors of Morris Island. They still think they have a shot of shutting down puplic access to the Refuge, for their peace and quiet. Now, they will never get the place closed down, but they could make access even harder than just a night time gate.

Some of those uses that will be focused on will be commercial use.
Guide services are a huge question mark, commercial clamming has been in the news a couple of years and parking limits are just some of the issues coming down the pipe. The shuttle services will also be reviewed. The best advice I can give all of you.

GET INVOLVED- EARLY!!

Join the Friends of Monomoy organization. I have been involved since 1995. We pushed for a lot of the huge changes you have seen in the past few years. Funding for buildings, kiosks, extra bathroom facilities and even a change in Staff and Staff size.
Unfortunatly, we took heavy casualties during the later changes.
Members fought for the changes and just got burnt out.

The Refuge staff would like to see a Friends Board re developed. This is a great opportunity for the fishing community to get their foot in the door. The friends group is also taking over the Light house OVERNIGHTS this year, since the museum of natural history went belly up. ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?!!! The friends group needs help to get this off the ground. Since we are also trying to get money to have heat and electricity out there.

Your decision, your choice.

For information on the Friends of Monomoy you can call Refuge Manager Mike Brady or you can visit the Friends of Monomoy webpage www.friendsofmonomoy.org.

Keith

See less See more
#2 ·
This needs a sticky!

As an occasional visitor to M'moy & SB (read: tourist, or effing tourist depending on your attitude), it would be a shame to loose the privelage of visiting such a unique place - especially if it's preventable.

Gotta check out the site mentioned above - thanks for posting it here.

#8 ·
The Massachusetts Public Access Board is always interested in helping to maintain fishing access. They have concentrated on fresh water access primarily, but have recently developed some small saltwater wade fishermen sites. Does anyone on the board have a contact at the PAB?

#9 ·
JF Basser,

Your missing the point. NO one said your access is being taken away. I am saying that the involvement of people on this forum with the Friends of Monomoy would be a win/win situation for both sides. The way to avoid access issues in the future is to get involved now. The CCP will give plenty of time for voices to be heard, but first you must have a voice. Getting involved more with the Refuge will create that opportunity for you all as fisherman.

We are not trying to make waves here, but trying to strengthen a relationship that is growing each year. A number of members from this forum are getting involved more and more each year with Refuge projects and public out reach. I am suggesting the Friends group as a way to do even more.

Keith

#10 ·
I've offered indirectly through the refuge staff to ressurect the site and host it on our server at no charge to them. I hope to hear back from Dean on this matter soon.

Meanwhile, after speaking with Keith and the new Manager of the refuge the best thing to do is stay informed, involved and motivated until the CCP information starts to flow. Mike's feeling is once things start to happen there will be more than enough noise to pay attention to.

Mike assured that fishing is one of the 6 primary purposes of the refuge and it will not be revoked anytime soon. Infringement of residents on access rights is a concern to me, they should have no influence on a national resource for their own petty personal desires. (I recall the New Yorker in the jeep who has summer property screaming at us last year on the causeway)

The refuge is a national treasure, not something to be coveted by a select few just because they have money. It's most important that we protect our rights to access from these selfish few who would just as soon shut it down.

But it isn't going to the refuge group who does it, and if the residents get their way we only have ourselves to blame as hearings are required by law.

They are talking about a possible permit system for guides on the refuge. I am all for that provided it is fairly allocated without any one interest hording the access.

Always some kinda political BS goin' on isn't there :devil:

#13 ·
I think we can make a big impact and as far as I am concerned ..the feds will balance it..with the public access as a forefront..so I am not that worried... if Keith can't take beach bathers..that's good...let Outermost handle that... Most fly guys will start using Keith after they see the new charges at Outermost..twice what Keith charges... and we still will have our Rip trips which Outermost CAN NOT do. All I can say is If Keith can keep us all informed and we do our thing to get involved and keep informed as well... that will help us all. Keith has my support and that of this forum and it's members.

#14 ·
Ron Kaufman the Bush appointee has replaced Brenda Boleyn ,a marine biologist who has been Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory commission since 1994.
To quote State Senator Robert A.O'Leary,"Kaufman has no known substantive connection to the Cape and no known environmental expertise. "
This needs our attention. We must stay on this one.
Fishhawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.