Rip Ryder Report--- Bad news [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Ryder Report--- Bad news

striblue
01-27-2004, 09:41 PM
I got a PM from keith tonight.... and I have sent him back a reply for a clarification... since I had questions about what he told me...But this was the what he said.. The refuge has passed new rules that allow ONLY birders and fishermen to go to Monomoy... He then said that if you were going to use South Beach and North...You would have to use Outermost... this is where I need amore definitive statement from him. I am assuming he ment North for him too... but to go to south you would have to use outermost... AND the refuge will be putting up a gate to stop NIGHT access to the refuge... no fishing then... This is all I have and I need to get clarifications.... If that's the case... I will be doing a lot more walking on and to south beach this year. especially with the new rates that outermost is charging. Damit!.. I will not use them... I will be healthier and get in better shape by walking or I will hitch a ride with clammers and walk back.... There is more in his PM which I can not share at this momment but stay tuned because this news is really significant to ALL Fishing there.

Penguin
01-27-2004, 10:14 PM
I may be way off base but...it was my understanding that Keith was going to stop carrying "beach-go'ers" and their chairs, coolers, blankets, etc ...and limit his services to only those interested in fishing and/or birding.
One big boat instead of a fleet...
One Captain...
One Admiral...
The picture of efficiency!
Weshallsee!:confused:

striblue
01-27-2004, 10:25 PM
...Ok... This may not be as bad as I got from Keith's PM... He has not yet got back to me with my questions but in the first PM he pointed me to an article in the Cape Codder... I get it here at home... and here is , in part, what it says. The article described the new director. a Mike Brady... The article says ..." Another change involves an effort to stay true to the refuge's mission. Starting this spring, only birdwatchers and fishermen will be allowed to use the Rip Ryder ferry service from its headquarters on Morris Island. If people want to use North or South Monomoy for Sunbathing, they will have to leave from Outermost Harbor, Brady said. Also, Becuase of complaints from neighbors in the area, electronic gates will be installed so no one will be allowed access to the parking lot between sundown and sunup"........ Ok.. so you can see the questions that I have... First... there is no mention of South beach and how that will be played out...but I know that part of south beach is part of the town of Chatham and there is also Federal jurisdiction as well.. Does this mean that there will be a clear division of services between the ferry services..that is..Keith can not take beachgoers and Outermost can not take Fishermen... as a trade off?... .. That is, that the exclusion for beachgoers is to Morris Island and Outermost could still take fishermen? Does the gate access only disallow cars but we can park at the causeway and walk to the refuge to fish at night OR is ALL access at night prohibited.... so there are alot of questions... I will post as soon as I am clear on what Keith can and can not do... One other question I had ..which seems covered by the article is that Keith can still do the Rip trips... AND A BIG QUESTION... will this open South Monomoy to fishing trips APART from just the limited Rip trips.

striblue
01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Yes Pete that was the Plan...But I don't know what these new rules actually mean... it seems that Keith is limited to Birders and fishermen... and also, there is no mention of the ever popular Seal cruises... which as you know has a big effect on the parking on the causeway... so maybe the Refuge has 'Cut the baby in Half"... by separating the services... it would make a big gap for Keith BUT if he picks up the fly guys that use Outermost it could work for him anyway... it's the seal cruises I also need answers on.

Penguin
01-27-2004, 11:12 PM
I've met and talked with Mike Brady...he's a nice guy who calls the Cape his home. I'll give him a call and ask a few questions and find out what's going on...'will get back to report...

Rip Ryder
01-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone,

Here is the scoop!!!

I was going to get this out to you on my own schedule, but the local paper did a great job of screwing everything up. So, now I have to do it sooner.
I contacted John to give him a heads up, so he could fend of the questions from anyone that saw the article in this past Fridays edidtion of the Cape Codder. When you read the article it sounds like, we took a beating with the new refuge rules. We did not!!
The Admiral and I decided to drop the South Beach shuttles for general beach going. It has taxed our parking situation and is killing us trying to keep our schedule, do to all the crap they insist on bringing. The Morris Island Neighbors are taking this as a victory towards doing away with us, they think it is from the pressure they are putting on the Refuge.:tsk_tsk: After talking with John, the excellent lawyer he is, we all agreed it was also becoming a major Liability, with the surf conditions getting worse each year and no life guards to watch over the swimmers.

So here is how it will work for this year.

North Monomoy and South Beach as always for fisherman and birders. Fee will be $10 for everyone (kids too) vs $20 down the beach. The seal cruises will run as always just changing the schedule to make our lives a bit easier. You are welcome to bring your families with you when you go to the islands as long as you are engaging in some sort of fishing, birding or nature observation. The RIP TRIPS are a go, as long as someone can get mother nature to cooperate!! The refuge and I want to bring our service back to what it was there for in the first place, rather than just another tourist trap.
Once again, the media reports what sounds the juiciest, rather than the facts. The first person to complain to Mike Brady was his parents, because they got all their information wrong too.

See you all in May, unless someone "shows me the money!!"

Capt Keith

Adm. Ed says hello from 80' Pt St Lucie Fl. He reports the Sailfish tournment was a success again this year. %$#@%, thats all I have to say about that!

FishHawk
01-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Well this is good news for the Rip Ryder and the Fly Fishing community. Much better deal. You will have all of our support. Better to be fishing service. Can't wait to see you in the Spring.
FishHawk

juro
01-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the update Keith, looks like business as usual this summer for Chatham Angler :D

The only part of this that bothers me is the locking of the gate in hours of darkness. I've caught some of my finest stripers after hours down there. It's a quiet and un-exploited place under a bright moon that is hard to beat for beauty and fishing pleasure.

I don't see what it achieves, although the refuge officers are probably thinking it's a good thing not having to kick snoozers out of the parking lot anymore.

Not that I've ever done that :rolleyes: :devil:

Here's a Morris Island nighttime memory...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/monomoy2000/juros/morriskeeper.jpg

striblue
01-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks keith... thanks for the heads up and clarification....I will see you soon next time I am down there.

jimS
01-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Great tides the 3rd and 17th of June.

Simms

Greg Pavlov
01-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by juro
The only part of this that bothers me is the locking of the gate in hours of darkness.
Same here: it can be a gorgeous place at night and without any boats and other people around, you really have a sense of what the place really was way back before we showed up. And are they really serious about "sunup" to "sundown ?" That is very restrictive.

rooster
01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Hey Keith,
You gave me a scare! Guess it's still "cold in New England".
Glad to hear you are still in business and I would like to suggest the first rip trip be June 3! Any interest?
Cheers.
DK

Penguin
01-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Park on the cauzzzway and walk across the sand and around the corner and you're at the bottom of the stairs...about the same distance as from Hardings Beach parking lot to the lighthouse and Stage inlet...
The "port-a-potty" near the stairs has been replaced by a new brick structure that will probably be locked off hours.:confused:

Watch out for the carnivors and things that got BUMP in the night!:whoa:

Progress?! :razz:

juro
01-28-2004, 09:33 PM
With all due respect guys, those tides are not right for the rip trip. What would be very interesting is the sequence that occurs in the middle of May, since it would coincide with what is typically a very strong migration period as well (depending on how this year pans out for seasonal activity).

However, they are close to being the best tides of the year for other places :smokin:

striblue
01-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks Juro...with our luck with the weather we should be planning for a date or dates in May... I will be watching it closely and will post in April... and we can start...I can feel it even now...

FishHawk
01-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Read in the wed. Globe that the Bush has appointed a top lobbyist ron Kaufman to be chairman of the comission that advises the feds on the use of the National Seashore.
He is a brother-in-law of Andrew Card. He has no background in environmental expertise. So here we go , be perpared for more changes. Let's hope they don't want to drill for oil off the Cape.
FishHawk;)

striblue
01-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Bill..That does not bother me....

MTTero
01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Why not?

striblue
01-29-2004, 05:01 PM
...............Becuse nothing like off shore oil wells will be off the National seashore and a Republican commissioner can not over ride established Congressional laws....... and just because some guy is a commissioner will not mean anything. The Seashore is a National ParK! I was answering..specifically... what my good friend Fish Hawk was surmising.... so...whoever a chairman commissioner is ..he is one member... that's what I meant. I live down there and never ment to imply...that I was for commercial interference by spoiling this great natural resourse. Thanks for your great FIRST post from Maine!!!!!!!:mad:

Eddie
01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
:confused: John, that's not a very nice way to address a new Forum member who simply asked "why not?" and nothing more.
I'm not so sure that the new apointment has anything to do with Monomoy and this thread, but I would be concerned.

striblue
01-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Eddie.... Political appointments come and go...fundamentals at a National park will not be influenced by one guy..that is just my experience with federal agencies..I could be wrong... and I ment every word I said. My responce to this new person was as terse as his two words to me. Anyway ,this issue makes me very tense and Jumpy. I explained to you what I think about that post in my PM to you

MTTero
01-30-2004, 05:58 PM
I asked the question as if you were sitting in a chair across from me. There was no disrespect intended.

striblue
01-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Understood..sorry... This issue really burns me up. That's one of the problems with the internet.:o