Fly doing Headstands help? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly doing Headstands help?

yankee
05-06-2001, 12:15 AM
Rough day on the stream seems like every time I tied a fly on it was riding nose down on the water(headstand) or laying to the side.What am I doing wrong & how do I correct.
thanks
Yankee

Nathan Smith
05-06-2001, 07:50 PM
Couple things could effect it.

1. keep your fly dry. when wet the wings are heavier and will flip the fly over or on it's side. If you use liquid floatant make sure not to use to much. And fluff you fly

2. Kept your leader afloat. If it sinks it will pull your fly over. Make sure to use floatant on the leader and to stretch it

3. Your cast(biggest problem). If it isn't rolling out the leader it will not allow the fly to right itself. Also make sure the line it's hitting the water but rather unrolling in the air and floating down. I see people with this problem a lot. They aim down and they hit the water with the fly. This usually leads to the leader not unfolding and the fly getting wet as it goes through the surface film of the water.

John Desjardins
05-06-2001, 08:30 PM
You should also check to see if your flies hackle is unusually bushy or oversized. Having tied some big & ugly dry flies in the past I know that these sometimes won't float right. Trimming off the hackle on the underside of the hook can help cure this, if this is the problem. Wulffs often benefit from this modification.

yankee
05-06-2001, 09:49 PM
Guilty,Guilty,and Guilty.Great info thanks to both of you for the helpful advise. The casting correction is a tough one too embarassed to ask for lessons, self taught, I have some good days but man I can have some bad ones.
Thanks
Yankee

Hawkeye
05-06-2001, 09:56 PM
If it is a bushy fly and you are using light tippet you could also be getting a lot of twist if you are using a lot of power in your casting stroke.