strike indicator [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: strike indicator

Shivs
05-04-2001, 11:18 PM
Hey, how do you put one of these on? the guy at the shop showed me, using a piece of rubber band or something and I forgot how!

Thanks,
Aaron

saltRon
05-04-2001, 11:41 PM
Shivis --- Aaron Come back to me and i will try to guide you in these basics as we talked before . There is a strike in

dicator that incorporates a rubber O ring but is rather heavy but there are many other things and systems to use for this purpose. Dependent on the depth that you want to fish use a piece of yarn with dry fly flotant applied tied on to the leader at that legnth [ depth]
Keep working at this .Are you going fishing this weekend ? where ?
Talk to you
salRon

NrthFrk16
05-05-2001, 12:59 AM
I have always hated using strike indicators because of the pain in the you know what to adjust, hold in place etc. etc.

For steelhead I use pretty much mini-dink floats but for trout I love Bio-strike. This stuff has the consistency of Playdough and you just mold it into a small ball and place on your leader. Plus it floats like a cork, is easy to see and best of all, it is bio-degredable. :)

juro
05-05-2001, 07:12 AM
I've never used floating / dropper rigs for steelhead but I have for trout, stimulator or other big hairy hollow fibre bug with a nymph on a dropper... deadly.

Nathan Smith
05-05-2001, 05:57 PM
You guys should check out the indicators I got while I was in CA fishing the Lower Sacramento. They are yarn but are twice as big as anything I's ever seen and has a stick up through the top that shows when there is drag. Casting them when there wet feels like a wet towel though you need it when you are nymphing in 8-10' of water. Anyway, my advice is throw the rubber band away, you will just lose them anyway. Do a loop through the O ring and back over the indicator.

Hawkeye
05-06-2001, 09:53 PM
I'm with Nathan. Throw away the rubber bands and buy a box of round toothpicks. Put the indicator on the line and then put a toothpick through the hole to pin the indicator in place. Then trim the toothpick and you are set with a fully and easily adjustable indicator.