Tahoe Fly Fishing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tahoe Fly Fishing

NateSmith
01-23-2004, 06:01 PM
I figured since I was on a roll I would give you the hold what I did for my summer vacation thing. I took a trip to tato and yosmite this summer toward the end of july. Both where great fishing.

Tahoe:
Great fishing. Fished the carson river and sever small streams. most fish where 10-15 inches in the west carson river which is a mid sized stream. I alos caught tons of 8-12 inchers in the smaller streams in the tahoe national forest which where great fun on the two weight. Almost all caddis patterns and small black nymphs. I wanted to fish the trunkee but it was running hight and is really only good in the spring or fall. The best was a day I paided to get on a private section of the walker river. It was awesome. Caught a number of fish in the 18-20 inch range. Aparently they only allow 4 rods a day, 3 days a week there. It was great. it wasn't much more then a creek, and every deep bend had a big fish in it. It was mostly all nymphing but I caught a few on a small grasshoper. It was great. I stayed in S. Tahoe and there where a number of really great flyshops there. Do yourself a favor it you go hit the buffet at harrers. Steak and lobster in it was amazing

Yosmite:
Didn't catch a fish over 10 inches but it was great. It was one of the most beutiful places I have ever been. I stayed in the wawona area and fished the river behide our cabin, I forget the name of it. It was great 7-10 inchers all on dries, at least a dozen fish an hour. A e/c cutter caddis in olive killed them. The water was so clear there I could't believe it. There was this one little section where then river went from 20ft wide and 1 foot deep to about 8 foot deep and 10 foot wide for about 20 yards I would foat a dry throught there and watch the fish swim up from the bottom and take the dry. Once and awhile two fish would go for it at the same time. I would watch them race for it. really cool. I also fished the river that runs throught yosemite valley, I caught a14 incher out of there but the rest where under 10 inches. It was hard going though. It was more a series of water falls and pools then a river but it was really great, tons a yellow stoneflies size 8.

Interceptor
02-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Pretty area have fly fished it and skied it.

Need to get back there some day.