There Should Have Been Jail Time! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: There Should Have Been Jail Time!

marketic
01-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Ashcroft, B.C. - Fisheries and Oceans Canada announced today that two Ashcroft residents have recently pleaded guilty to retaining steelhead and fishing with prohibited bait on the Thompson River.

On November 4, 2003, fishery officers were conducting a patrol of the Thompson River near Ashcroft when they saw George Morimoto and James Gyoba angling for steelhead. The officers observed that both anglers were fishing with bait in an area closed to the use of bait. The officers also observed Mr. Morimoto catch and retain a steelhead and hide the fish in the vegetation along the bank of the river. Upon inspection of Mr. Morimoto’s vehicle, two additional steelhead were recovered and seized.

Mr. Gyoba was issued a ticket for retaining steelhead and for using prohibited bait. He pled guilty, received a $350 fine and had his angling gear forfeited. On January 5, 2004, Mr. Morimoto appeared in Ashcroft provincial court and pled guilty to retaining a steelhead during a close time and for using prohibited bait. He received an $800 fine, is prohibited from fishing for a period of 12 months and had his fishing gear forfeited. The monies from the fine were directed to the Thompson River Recovery Plan, a fund designed to enhance steelhead populations on the Thompson River.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada would like to remind the public that steelhead fishing on the Thompson River is catch and release only due to low numbers of returns. This fishery is known world wide and provides excellent angling opportunities as well as economic benefits to the local communities.

The Department is extremely concerned with this type of unauthorized activity and asks for assistance from the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

andre
01-21-2004, 10:09 PM
I just can't think of how to respond! I've edited myself 10-15 times. I guess I better sleep in the guest room tonight so I don't deck my wife when I'm dreaming about meeting with these low lifes.

Jail time and I would buy a case of soap.