Slammers!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Slammers!!!

Slinger
01-20-2004, 11:45 PM
These are a couple of Sedotti Slammers I just finished. I love telling this story so if you heard it before just bear with me.
Sean Mc and I were out in the boat last June one morning, I had found a large school of adult menhaden in the upper river and had been making a killing on good bass. As usual I had on my 90% fly, a 4" olive and white H+H, Sean had on some enormous concoction he kept calling a Slammer. I thought I was doing OK but then I started to notice that even though I was catching 3 or 4 to his 1 every one he got made 3 of mine! His fast sinking head and Slammers were getting fish measured in lbs. while mine were in inches. Later on the phone he told me that he had forgotten to put the fly away and left it in the boat and that it was probably blowing around on 95 somewhere. I said I`d check to see if it was still in the boat. The next week when we got togather I happily returned his fly that had got caught in the carpit of the boat, and then showed him my 6 exact duplicates!
Slinger

Slinger
01-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Just to prove that everything I tie is not 4" these flies are almost 7" long on Gammi SC 15 3H 4/0 hooks. Here`s what came out of the river that day.
Slinger

FishHawk
01-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Steve , could you post the recipe for this fly. Thanks FishHawk:D

Dble Haul
01-21-2004, 07:59 AM
....and what river are you referring to?

Nice ties! :)

striblue
01-21-2004, 08:47 AM
For a recipe..I think I posted several some time ago which have the recipes and pictures that I copied from Bob veverka's book. If you do a seach on this forum you will find them. They are done, according to those with all feathers... Saddles and Schleppen (sp)... if I remember correctly.

striblue
01-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Here is the recipe from Sedotti in Veverka's: Thread- White: Weight- lead keel plus wire; Tail- White Schleppen; Midfly- White bucktail; Side- White bucktail; Flash- Pink crystal flash, silver flashabou,;Back- Peacock herl; Head- Top,olive bucktail, and sides and bottom, white bucktail....More bucktail than I remembered.

Slinger
01-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Mark, last year when John posted the pics of the fly swap he used a backdrop of a map of Monomoy and I really liked the look and idea. Roddy has just come out with a brand new fishing map and I have been using it as a backdrop, with one slight twist, the answer is in the map.
Steve

Dble Haul
01-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks Steve....I was actually thinking that that might be the case. ;)

striblue
01-21-2004, 10:38 AM
I agree, Steve, Maps make a good backdrop and it does not effect the visuals for the fly..

Smcdermott
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Nobody ever accused me of being a purist!

Slinger
01-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Thats what that smell was.. I thought you just farted!
Slinger

Slinger
01-21-2004, 11:23 AM
One slight twist in the dressing, we included a light peach saddle outside the four white saddles for a little more pink. Plus don`t forget the big doll eyes.
Slinger

jfbasser
01-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Slinger, the only twist in your dressing is the Smelly Jelly impregnated Tibetan Bunny:hehe:

doogue
01-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Sean,

Now when did you decide that Slammers were cool?

This is my favorite fly.

Two things about the doll eyes:
1. I kind of like them because they rattle
2. Mine tend to break when I catch alot of fish and/or get hung up on some rocks or structure.

So, if you hate having flies without eyeballs you should think twice about the doll eyes. I still tie on the doll eyes and then if the eyes break/shatter then I put in simple eyes and re-epoxy. The doll eyes don't really seem to result in more hook-ups but I still like to THINK that they do because this makes me feel better about myself.

-Mike

Smcdermott
01-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Doogue,

I recall a certain tying session late one night at a cottage on the Cape. Ringing any bells for you? I think Seuss might remember a thing or two as well. Accounted for a few hook ups that week and as you can see later in the year. They will always have a spot in my box from here on out.

Sean

juro
01-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Slinger -

Those colors are PERFECT for the spring herring run! Nice ties.

grego
01-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Very Sweet!

Could you give the recipe, or better yet step-by-steps

Slinger
01-27-2004, 12:28 AM
I`ll try but remember this is just the way I do them.
Hook-Gammi 4/0 sc15-3h
I allways add a loop of mono under the tail on all my Deciever type flies.
Tail- 2 pairs of white saddels with one peach or lite pink saddle on both sides, 3-4 strands of pearl and pink flash per side.
Body - Pink diamond braid or Bill`s.
Collar - White bcktail for bottom and sides with a few strands of pearl flashabou.
Topping - Lite pink bucktail topperd with lavender, topped with blue. Overall 6-8 strands of ostrich herl.
Marker on top of head to match back color.
Goop head and add large doll eyes.
To get down deep you can wrap the shank or keel the hook with lead wire.
Slinger

grego
01-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Steve!

striblue
01-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Here is a bigger one that has Schleppin as well as hackles for the wing.

Greg Pavlov
01-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry, but what are "doll's eyes ?"

pmjasper
01-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Steve,
Very nice looking flies. I particularly like the eye on the top fly. You should tie a few, some for fishing and some for framing. Nice work.

striblue
01-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Greg. The original Sedotti recipe calles for these type of eyes... They are simply eyes that are hollow with a free moving, rolling pupil. It's best to epoxy over tham since they can fill up with water and begin to discolor.

Greg Pavlov
01-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks, John.