T&T on the Cape [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: T&T on the Cape

jimS
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I thought Harry Koons at Nauset Angler in Orleans was a T&T dealer. Did he drop the line?

Simms

striblue
01-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Jim..he has moved to Temple Fork...but I don't know for sure if he has dropped the line...and another thing..I have e-mailed him and his e-mail is off and his phone is disconnected... so I am a bit concerned on just where he is?????????????????

Penguin
01-20-2004, 11:28 AM
I took a ride to Orleans not long ago...Harry was tyin' flyz and getting ready for the Somerset Show (this weekend) where he's sharing a booooth with a phriend...
He's fine, but his phone is off for the winter season...
The message is a bit disconcerting but, all is well. Despite the cold!
I've had a problem reaching him via e-mail as well...I'll ride out again in a week or so and "scold" him about going incognito!:confused:

ps
The Temple Fork Titanium is worth a look/demo!

jimS
01-20-2004, 12:36 PM
I'll see him at the Somerset Show if I can get there from here given the cold and snow in this age of global warming. I belfieve he has several trips to the Bahamas and Belize scheduled this winter/spring.

Simms

Eddie
01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Temple Fork rods are not all that

Smcdermott
01-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Eddie

Eddie,

I definitely agree with your past posts that you get what you pay for. However, I am not sure that the new Lefty series rods deserve such a quick dismissal. What characteristics have you found not to your liking? For $200 certainly worth a test cast in my opinion. Much lighter and crisper than their earlier models as well as better components. It costs 1/3 of a Sage Xi2 but not sure it would be fair to say its 1/3 the rod.

Sean

jfbasser
01-20-2004, 06:54 PM
I own seven All Star 6 foot SRH-IM6 spinning rods for Freshwater Bass. Five were purchased ten years ago and were made by All Star on Loomis blanks. The newer ones were made by All Star on blanks from another source to maintain a price point. The newer ones all fatigued after about 120 hours of use and the action significantly changed to super slow. The older ones are still in service.

flyfisha1
01-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Eddie

For economical rods, has anyone tried the Albright series? I was at Eldridge Bros. Fly Shop in Cape Neddick and saw a few of them. Apparently they're the creation of the guy that started Redington. These rods are supposed to be "as good as" the high-end Redington rods, much less expensive, and more resistant to damage from lead-headed flies.

Slinger
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
To each his own. I love my TFO`s and plan on adding a TiCr to the list soon.
Slinger

Eddie
01-21-2004, 12:10 PM
sean, I don't want to piss anyone off, but I cast ticr(?) 10 and 8. The #8 was ok, nothing special but for the price, a little better than sage, reddington, st.croix. etc. I think they are more expensive than $200? Not sure of the exact prices.
The 10 was among the worst rods I have ever cast. I couldn't believe it. Stiff and dull. Tried few lines on it and overlining it just made it feel heavier. Sure it booms out line, but it felt crappy. Any ten weight will boom out line. The guy at the shop said that it was designed to "pump up big fish". Huh? Most fish that you would target on a ten weight don't need to be "pumped up". Dorado..small skipjack? Maybe a 17# little tunny? Maybe not even...but to sacrafice castability for such a special nitch?
I cast a ten weight TFO a few years ago and I was really impressed (I think that one was 170 bucks), but the "new" ticr rods only decent rods at a good price with great hype. Great business model, but not so special.
I am glad that so many people love their TFO rods. We are lucky to have so many choices. Flyfishing gear is less expensive than it has ever been.
Anyone buying a rod has to cast a bunch of rods to find the one that they like.

Smcdermott
01-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Eddie,

I only cast the 8wt myself so I think we are on the same page. I was thinking of overlining it but didn't get a chance. They are $209.95 according to the TFO website. I am not saying that I won't continue to buy what I would consider higher end rods (Sage, Loomis, T&T etc...) just that as price point rods they certainly get the line out there.

Sean