Off Shore Duster - Bunker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Off Shore Duster - Bunker

striblue
01-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Just fooling around with feathers.... This is tyed a bit different.. for a fuller profile. there is a inside of bucktail and flash.. then four segments of rooster cock feathers... going up the shank. The segments each have ..two white shooting downward... whitish brown straight back... and yellow and black shooting off the top...filling in like a sideways V shape... then the next a bit shorter... then the next clump... till the forth at the eye hook... Large Jungle cock eye.... ALL natural material except for the flash. Next fly will be a FB fly is compare the styles. 4/0 mustad hook. about 5 inches long. A Feather duster is all I can think of... but it is not a thick as you might think.

Dble Haul
01-19-2004, 02:09 PM
John, if you check the archive you'll see that I've done a fly before that I also called a duster. If I remember correctly, I did it with a conehead and synthetic hairs and named it because it looked like a small brush.

Funny how two entirely different flies can arrive with the same name. :p Very nice to see those natural materials at work. I like it a lot, and the fish should too.

striblue
01-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Mark...sorry... I should have figured a name would have been taken... Maybe a name change like" Bunker Brush".... ??

JimW
01-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I like the looks of that one.

How do you think the profile will hold up when it in the water?

Dble Haul
01-19-2004, 03:26 PM
John, I'm not insinuating that you change the name. I just thought it interesting that we arrived at the same place with entirely different materials.

It looks like a duster to me, and I think the name of your fly fits it well. ;)

striblue
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim..here are two shots with it sopping wet and it looks the same in the water..It holds it's shape because of the inner construction... no flaring out... the first is the side wet then the profile from the top ..It keeps its "body" shape.

striblue
01-19-2004, 04:05 PM
.... and from the top... no plain flat shape,,, like an FB... except this takes more feathers to tie in ...

JimW
01-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Nice!

You'll have to show me how to tie that one.