Zebra Line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Zebra Line

blackneb
01-19-2004, 03:59 AM
While recently watching a fly-fishing prog on TV the presenter was using what looked like a black and white striped floating line. The stripes were approx 2 feet wide. The purpose is, I suppose, to act as a strike indicator. This seems to me, a much better idea than using a "float", but now I think about it, has the same ethical issues which have caused much debate and banning of the "method" over the years.
Has anyone any experience of using this type of line?
What are your thoughts?
Did it make any noticable difference to using a "one colour" line?

Blackneb

John Desjardins
01-19-2004, 10:41 AM
While I haven't used the zebra lines, for a leader connection I use a whipped loop that is whipped with red thread. I think that it provides a bit of contrast that allows you to see what the line is doing slightly better than without it. It is much more subtle than fishing with a strike indicator.

Hammer
01-19-2004, 12:19 PM
i mark my lines at the back taper where applicable because;i'm a sundowner,most summer nights i'll finish my day on the water,helps alot,with less than XLT tapers

Bob Pauli
01-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the board. It is good to have you with us and we look forward to your comments.

Re ethics, search this board's data base for postings by Riveraddict. He differentiates between an indicator that locates/helps one see where the line is and an indicator that is part of the presentation, a bobber.

The striped line is the former, as it has nothing to do with the presentation of a fly.

You won't have to go to confession if you use a striped line.

Bob

BobK
01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah - Orvis used to offer one. It was their favorite for their casting schools, as it was easy for the teacher (and the student) to see, making errors easy to detect.

I purchased one on "closeout", (black stripes on white line) and used it to train my kids, among others. I just recently donated it to a high-school fly fishing club for training, along with a couple of rods, reels, etc. as it was still in very good shape.

No "ethics" required to use it - anyone worried about the ethics of using a striped line is "out to lunch" and has "too much to worry about" as far as I am concerned.

BobK:hehe: