International Clave! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: International Clave!

Adrian
04-27-2001, 02:22 PM
This got started out under "Migrating Fish Report" in the Stripers & Coastal Gamefish board but really belongs here.

The idea is to explore the possibility of getting an International group of forum members together, somewhere, sometime in the future. It's early days so post away and let's see where it goes! Current suggestions are focused on Bahamas/Carribean but at this point anything is up for grabs.

juro
04-27-2001, 05:10 PM
A late summer / fall trip to British Columbia is definitely among the top excursions in the world if you're into mountains, streams, and steelhead. Scenery, incredible gamefish, temperate weather, and reasonable cost... not to mention some of extremely high-proficiency anglers from the region are members of this community.

Or the Gaspe! Bright waters and atlantic salmon, traditional angling that's new and old at the same time.

Nova Scotia - affordable, and boasting healthy salmon runs in the Cape Breton region.

US West - Rockies, need I say more?

The Carribean does sound nice though... sugar sands, palm trees, and ghosts on the flats.

Scotland and the Spey, Dee and rivers where much of our sport's history came from - always intrigued me. We have Willie Gunn and others to show us the way.

New Zealand... South America... Russia... Alaska... Canadian Rockies... even ol' Cape Cod! It's a beautiful planet to know how to flyfish on! ;D

Back to thinking about the International clave site....

Adrian
04-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Early June in the wild west of Ireland - Limestone Lakes, BIG Wild Browns AND Atlantic Salmon, Sea Run Browns in the Ocean at Achill Island.......................

Fred Evans
04-27-2001, 11:24 PM
Ok, recent 'local' guy will put in 2 cents. Money/travel/lodging, etc., etc., is a "real life" issue for most of us. So question is easy/cost of travel, lodging, and so on. Would recommend Southern Washington/Northern Oregon, or depending upon the time of year Southern Oregon.
Easy access, lots of accessable water, prices you can afford, blah, and blah, but cost wise 'doable.'

And I think that's th point if you're trying to get a significant number of folks together. In this vein, the "International Spey Casting Board' folk are gathering on the Sandy River in Northern Oregon (just east of Portland) in early May for all or the above reasons ... pluse fish, and more fish, and more, etc., in this years run.

Roop
04-28-2001, 07:01 AM
How about Vancouver in the early fall? Loads of fish, and incredible public camping facilities. That way the largest expense would be air fare.

South America can be cost effective as well, a group of anglers could rent condos & pangas for short money...

Roop

Adrian
04-28-2001, 02:18 PM
North West is starting to sound very tempting!

juro
04-28-2001, 02:42 PM
I would agree... we have a lot of great hosts, this is looking like a BIG year for summer run steelhead, and these yard-long trout are surface fly takers that fight like the dickens and are amazing to behold.

The costs would be very reasonable, and the scenery is mind-boggling. Besides I have all the gear ;D

Seriously and putting all personal preferences aside for the moment is it a very practical and yet exciting destination.

WVflycaster
04-28-2001, 03:02 PM
I have been investigating Alberta and British Columbia for rainbows, and I must say that southern Alberta should be on the list if ease of travel and cost are of importance!

From what I understand the Bow R., Crowsnest R., North and South Raven R.'s and others are within a short drive of the Calgary International Airport. With the exchange rate at $1.50 or more, Canada is looking like a great option for me! The guiding rates are in U.S. $, but the rest of the costs ie. meals and accomodations would be very, very reasonable! I don't know how this ranks for the international group but it's worth considering!

I also have a line on a wading/float tubing operation in central B.C. that sounds very interesting and reasonably priced. There is a regional airport in Prince George that is about 1.5 hours from the location, with connections from Vancouver. This is 100% wild rainbows, not steelhead or salmon mind you. But, with the outfitter telling me about 50-100 fish days and rainbows up to 6-8#, he got my attention!

Good luck finding a location, maybe I'll join you if scheduling and time permit!

FrenchCreek
04-29-2001, 08:50 PM
[quote]WVflycaster (04-28-2001 04:02 p.m.):
I have been investigating Alberta and British Columbia for rainbows, and I must say that southern Alberta should be on the list if ease of travel and cost are of importance!

If it were to be ....
I would gladly line up some pretty good deals on drifters for the Bow and locals who know the Crow and the Elk for a few days.
Don't mean to steal a living from the local guides but someone did say that $$ etc were a issue to everyone. This is one way of getting by with other "local volunteers & FF brethren".

juro
04-30-2001, 07:54 AM
WOW! Thanks Pete. That sure puts a swing in the world-class bargain trip column. When I look at the photo in the raffles page (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/publicmarket/winter2000/raffles.htm) I can hardly believe that's not a steelhead but a resident rainbow.

Looking forward to your arrival at Cape Cod this year,
Juro

bcasey
05-07-2001, 10:32 AM
YEEHAA!!! yup, If thats a rainbow on the raffles page then sign me up! Of course, someone is going to have to teach me how to fish for em, since, till this point, I've been salt only. But living on the Cape I'm just starting to realize the great freshwater fisheries we have.And also, an International Clave should be about learning new places,methods and people, right? I know it's striper time, well allmost,but I am very interested in this idea, unless I win the raffle, whereas, I'll take plenty of pictures and let the rest of you just drool. So, let's not let it die!

It also makes sense to go where we have connections, which, apparently we've got in Calgary, any thoughts?

Adrian
05-07-2001, 11:45 AM
Calgary certainly sounds like a qualifier on the bargain front. I'm thinking that a location which offers a combination of Fresh and Saltwater fishing would be great for an international gathering. Other than the Cape, does anyone have any thoughts/experiences - Florida, Pacific NorthWest maybe? I would also offer suggestions around Europe since to be really international that region ought to be represented. My only reservation being the Saltwater scene over there is relatively undeveloped - but then again maybe that could be the focus of the clave -- I've heard the sea run browns run very large off the coast of Denmark and Atlantics are caught in the sea off Thurso in the North of Scotland - then there are places like Iceland, Greenland etc.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or experiences to share?

juro
05-07-2001, 08:37 PM
I've got a friend in Denmark who is a seatrout afficionado, and although I won't say he owes me any favors we hosted him on a few steelhead rivers when he visited Microsoft several years ago. I'll drop him a line to ask for the inside scoop on the fishery.

saltRon
05-07-2001, 09:03 PM
Hi to you all from one side of the great PNW. We will be entering a post from BRITISH Columbia on the fantastic fisheries aviable both Salt and Fresh. This is a Big piece of realestate if you can invission an 8HR.drive to get 1/2 way through this province going North. We do have it all as wll as a DOLLAR that gives you approx $ 1.50 in return for the American version
Hold On To your Tight lines

saltRon

Adrian
05-07-2001, 09:44 PM
One of the great things about this forum has been the opportunity to read the posts on steelhead fishing. One way or another I can see I'll be making a trip out there in the not too distant future. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it!

NrthFrk16
05-07-2001, 11:23 PM
I like the PNW idea. Cheap and easy for me. :) Plus the fishing is worldclass.

juro
05-08-2001, 04:49 AM
I love the PNW idea too ;D

If no one has mentioned it yet, Nova Scotia's Margaree should be a real consideration. It's atlantic salmon fishing is strong and the accomodations are reasonable.

Bonefish in the middle of a brutal winter has a nice sound to it too.

Adrian
05-08-2001, 07:45 AM
When I was at the Abrames seminar in Duxbury, I met a chap (Bob ?) who mentioned an area in the extreme south of Mexico on the Pacific side by the Guatemala border which was undeveloped but offered fantastic Tarpon fishing in a network of coastal lagoons.

How adventurous do we want to be? A few years ago, we thought about putting a trip to Kashmir together to be the first to take a giant Mahseer on fly. The most expensive part of that trip would have been the hiring of a private, well armed army to keep the warring factions at bay.

Right now, PNW sounds very good, Nova Scotia could also qualify if we could combine saltwater activity with fresh.

Lets keep the ideas coming!

Nathan Smith
05-09-2001, 01:27 PM
All the ideas sound good but alot of the places mentioned have really tuff fishing. I think if people where going to make a commitment to such a trip taking then to a location that they may not catch anything is a dangerous idea. This would go for Nova Scotia, the PNW, and that tarpon place would fall into that. BC and a place like X-Mas Island or the Yuc. would be alot better. Also these places would be cheaper in the long run.

Adrian
05-09-2001, 02:57 PM
B.C. does sound good.

The Yuc' is fairly accessible from most points in the US and trips used to be relatively inexpensive - great grand-slam potential as well. During summer months you can cast for Tarpon right of the beach, as long as a hurricane didn't pass through the week before!

BTW Nate, are you ready and prep'd for the CXI trip? If you need any more info drop me an email.

Martin
05-09-2001, 04:10 PM
I happen to live in one of Denmarks best-fishing regions - the County of Fyn. The region comprises about 90 islands of varying sizes. About 25 of them are inhabited. Fyn which is Denmark's second-largest island is 2,976 sqkm, and the total length of the coastline is 1,130 km. The coast offers an excellent opportunity for flyfishers to catch sea trout and "rainbows" around the year, garfish and mullet in spring and summer, and cod. We call it "Sea Trout Eldorado", and we can spare a few fish - join us in the hunt. ;)

saltRon
05-09-2001, 08:16 PM
Nathan Smith (05-09-2001 02:27 p.m.):
All the ideas sound good but alot of the places mentioned have really tuff fishing. I think if people where going to make a commitment to such a trip taking then to a location that they may not catch anything is a dangerous idea. This would go for Nova Scotia, the PNW, and that tarpon place would fall into that. BC and a place like X-Mas Island or the Yuc. would be alot better. Also these places would be cheaper in the long run.
GEOGRAPHY 101 The PNW consists Of BC. Washington Oregeon And Alaska is sometimes included inthis loose discription Sorry Adrian
saltRon

juro
05-09-2001, 08:22 PM
Nate - perhaps it's just my opinion but the northwest corner of the US and/or BC (doable together) would offer outstanding trout fishing, solid summer steelheading, and outrageous ocean coho salmon opportunities all in one. Sure many feel that steelhead are the PhD of flyfishing, sure the trout opportunities aren't what they are in the Rockies, but all around it's a very affordable and amazing trip. I do it every year since moving and will continue to do so for the rest of my years.

Nathan Smith
05-10-2001, 08:45 AM
Yes I am already except for 60-80lbs shock tippet for GT and Yellowfin. I cannot find over 50lbs. O by the way I talk Chrystal into going to Cancun for the honeymoon and taking two day and going down to Playa Blanca to fish. Man this is a great year.

October Caddis
05-11-2001, 01:08 PM
Boy some of the places mentioned sound great! Would love to go to a place where I could use my Billy Pate 12 wt. and maybe surf hollow waves too.
One idea that comes to mind is Eastern Washington and Idaho in October. All steelhead are taken on top and catching is not hard on most days. A large group could spread out over 3 different rivers that are close by. The Grande Rhon and Snake in Wasington and the Clearwater in Idaho just over the bridge from Clarkston WA. The other neat thing is the opportunity to just camp out free on BLM land along side the rivers. This still is allowed in most cases and in October there is usually warm sunny weather with cool clear nights to sit around a campfire drink your good scotch and check out the milkyway and listen to the Cyottes sing. There is also lots of motels in Clarkston and Lewiston area.
This should be a banner year for Steelhead as many are begining to slowly move up the Columbia River. I just have a feeling that we will see more fish than we have seen in a very long time. Also the ocean climate has been such that I believe that the Clearwater may have many more fish this year in the 15 to 20 lb range and they take on the surface.
There is lots to do when your not fishing during the day such as taking a jet boat up Hells Canyon or just sitting back and enjoying the the last warm weather of the year. The Snake River above Clarckston is so spectacular that for any of you old hippies it would be a great place for you find your way back to mind altering, well you know what.
Latter
OC