Funneldun steps [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Funneldun steps

01-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Recently I've been giving some thought to the fact that every photo and illustration I see of a mayfly lying on the water's surface shows the legs, thorax, and anterior portion of the abdomen in contact with the water. I started thinking that it would seem to make a great deal of sense to tie a pattern in which this natural posture is imitated, and the best way I could think to do that was to tie it on a curved shank hook, tied with the hook facing the sky rather than the water (i.e. "upside down" with repsect to traditional tying). I realize that this has been done before, and in a foray to our favorite antique shop in Maine this past week I found a book that showed some patterns by Neil Patterson; these are tied in his "Funneldun" technique, in which the fly lands on the water every time with the hook facing upwards. I think that this makes a lot of sense, not only from the standpoint of the posture, but also because the hook point isn't right in front of the trout's face, which can't hurt chances of hooking up. The curved shank hook idea may or may not be in use; it just makes sense to me that this be employed because of the apparent natural upward curve of the insect's body as it floats on the water. So the question is, does anyone have an idea as to how this technique is actually used to tie? Are there any books that illustrate the technique? Better yet, would anyone care to take some time and illustrate it on the forum?

01-17-2004, 04:15 PM

There was an article in one of these magazines (sorry I don't remember the specific one) "Fly Tyer", "Amercian Fly Fishing", or "Rod and Reel" a few years ago (a few in this instance might be as far back as 6 or 7 years) on the FUNNELDUN and how to tie it. The best thing you could probably do is try and find the article and since each of these magazines had a web site, you should be able to find it with a little searching on-line.

01-17-2004, 10:35 PM
You might see if you can locate Waterwisp flies in your area's fly shops, they are tied hook up, and backwards, also I recall Al Beatty did an article on them in a magazine within the last two years, if you can find it it might be helpful.
And you can do a search on several of the 'pattern' based websites.
Good Luck

01-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Yes, I've seen the Waterwisp patterns; can't say that they're quite what I had in mind. I was able to find Patterson's book, Chalkstream Chronicle , on-line at Amazon. I wondered if anyone had heard of the book and if the steps to the technique were indeed in it.
Flytyer - I dropped a line to Dave Klausmeyer regarding the article in Fly Tyer ; I'll wait and see what he says. Turns out that there's an article discussing the technique in Fly Life Magazine. It's $10 to get the issue (#4), and Patterson's book is $7, so until I hear back from Mr. Klausmeyer I'm sitting on the idea.
Time to tie some streamers for those June landlocks in Maine... :smokin:

01-18-2004, 11:41 AM
While they are not "curved", they do ride low to the water, and they are liked by trout. Seems to be something about a fly draging its belly on the surface that turns trout on!


01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Look in "The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference" by Leeson & Schollmeyer, pages 362 & 73, methods for the tail & hackle.

01-18-2004, 07:07 PM

Excellent advise, I forgot about Leeson's excellent reference book on techniques!

Don Johnson
01-19-2004, 04:56 PM
See also "Fly Tyer", Volume 1, Number 1, Summer 1995, page 13. The Venables pattern is a keel-style dry in the genre' of which you describe.

Don Johnson

01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys, for all of your comments and advice. I'll be sure to look into all of those options. I imagine that back issues of Fly Tyer are available, and the benchside reference has been on my list of books to own for a while now; I guess it's time I looked into getting a copy.