Steelheading Video [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelheading Video

MJC
01-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Today I had a young friend ask me if I knew of any good videos on catching steelhead with a fly rod. I told him that I did not but that I had access to a large group of some of the finest steelhead fly fishers in the world and that I would ask them.
Any Suggestion? Thank you. Take care, MJC

Doublespey
01-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Forgot the titles, but they sure helped when I was getting started.

CDG
01-13-2004, 05:46 PM
I'll second the Lani Waller series of videos by SA. They are great and really helped me as well.

CDG

Leland Miyawaki
01-13-2004, 06:31 PM
There were three of them produced by Scientific Anglers, starring Lani Waller: Fly Fishing for Steelhead; Advanced Fly Fishing for Steelhead; Fly Fishing for Trophy Steelhead. The first two are required viewing as the Trey Combs book, Steelhead Fly Fishing is required reading.

Leland.

sinktip
01-13-2004, 06:31 PM
The first two are top notch. The third is a bit shaky in my opinion but the Babine sure is pretty.

Leland Miyawaki
01-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Yes, the unedited take of his waking fly shot from overhead makes the second video worth the price of admission.

Leland.

Philster
01-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Leland, sinktip

While the first two may be high school and college, I think of the third as Graduate school.

The most important part of the third is that he isn't teaching as much as in the first two, but he is dissecting the situation and fishing it as he would if the camera wasn't there. It's a summer situation but he isn't just relying on floating line long leader unweighted fly. He is a master fisherman fishing what he feels is the most productive method for the given situation.

I think it's great...

fredaevans
01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
No idea how many times I've rented (Fred, you could have purchased the darned things by now!) I've watched Lanni in action.

Hope he's doing 'all right,' the plane crash that he walked away from (the only one) really took the stuffing out of him.
Fred

MJC
01-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. You've all been very helpful. Take care, MJC

flytyer
01-14-2004, 12:01 AM
I agree with Leland and Sinktip. The first two SA/Lani Waller videos are excellent, the third has nice video of the Babine scenery.

t_richerzhagen
01-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Have these come out in DVD yet? Is there anything comparable on DVD?