Auction issue [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Auction issue

Philster
01-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I've brought this up before offline, and was told I was wrong. I'll try again

Dude A has a current bid of 63
Dude B bids 65
Dude B gets message that his bid is not higher than somebody else's highest bid.
Dude B goes back to the item and the current bid remains 63.

So, if Dude A put in a highest bid of 66, shouldn't the current bid be 66?

sean
01-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Your wrong.

If you are using the current auctions as an example they are all 66.

-sean

sean
01-12-2004, 04:28 PM
For instance I just bid $55 for this auction and it was showing a high bid of $52:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/auction.php?&auction_id=67&action=show_auction

Dana had a bid higher than mine and now the new high bid is $56.

fredaevans
01-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Your bids should get at least a 10% discount!:smokin:

Philster
01-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sean
Your wrong.

If you are using the current auctions as an example they are all 66.

-sean

I know sean, because after bidding $65 three times on the 10/11 xlt, and seeing the current bid not change from 63 three times, I bid $66, and became the highbidder myself. The number of bids didn't change, and current price didn't change until after I bid 66. I use Ebay, I am not an auction virgin. It could have something to do with my settings, or my security software, or something else, but it is definitely happening!!!!!!!!

Willie Gunn
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Does it not depend on what the current high bidder has bid?

Let us use your example, high bid showing at $63 but the bidder has bid $67 your bid of $66 does not beat the bid so you are told to bid again. The bid just goes up by increments of $1

sean
01-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Ah now I see.

The logic was almost correct but Philster uncovered a little bug. If someone bids the 'exact' same bid as the winning bidders max bid it was not incrementing the bid at all.

Just fixed it and now the software is setting the bid to that maximum amount with the original high bidder winning.

Mea culpa Philster,

-sean

Oh and I reset Dana's original max bid back to what it was before I started mucking with it cause I have no intention on bidding on that line. So my first example in this thread is no longer valid...