SA Fly Lines now on the Auction Block [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SA Fly Lines now on the Auction Block

JimW
01-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Our new sponsor Scientific Anglers donated some fly lines.

These are Intermediate 9 and 10wt lines in a surf color.

Support This Web Site by Bidding Now (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/auction.php )

If you need a new Int line-Now's the time to Save a few bucks - and support the site

BID HIGH - BID OFTEN (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/auction.php )

JimW
01-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Spey guys are kicking butt.

Anyone familiar with these lines? Apparently the Striper taper was changed from clear to this sort of opaque blue when they kicked over to the AST formula.

It reminds me of the clear camo, not truely clear but very stealthy.

Anyone have experience with this particular line?

juro
01-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Jim,

I fished an intermediate line of this color and another line with even brighter blue last year because I needed a 12wt line to load the Surftamer. I was surprised how unaffected the fish were and the response was very good even though I picked it for the taper and grains more than stealth. I've since become convinced that any sky-like color is a good color provided you are not laying the line below the pod of fish on a skinny flat. Even then if you make the proper presentation and have a good leader a subtle color of any type is more than workable.

In deeper or turbulent water like in the surf, I like a sky colored line best because you can see it better than a clear line and the fish can't when looking up.

The one time color is a detriment is when your cast has "lined" the fish, but at that point one could question the precision of the cast :devil:

Smcdermott
01-12-2004, 05:56 PM
I agree with Juro's assessment and think it is a great warm weather line. I can't say I was impressed with its performance this fall. I found that the line was more difficult to manage even when giving the line a good stretch. I prefer the Airflow cold water line for that purpose.

Sean

Bigcat
01-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I just peeled one off, going back to Airflow myself.