Sparse Hollow Flye [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sparse Hollow Flye

striblue
01-09-2004, 02:08 PM
After watching last night, I had done some basic Pop Hollow flyes, but I was really interested with doing the sparse ones that Bob did.. I found them harder to do than the thicker ones but like them much better. This one is before a hot water wet down. Next time I will have to make the chartreuse front a bit longer. This fly DOES take practice but well worth it.

juro
01-09-2004, 02:38 PM
I had the pleasure of picking Bob Pop's brain on this pattern while at Danbury during a quiet period when no one else was around. Quality time for sure, in fact I know exactly how I will be getting the spring blueback chasers on the fly this April.

The reverse flared hair can be repeated as many times as you need to to keep the hollow body going, thus I plan to tie 10-12" herring flies with this body style.

striblue
01-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Right..he indicated that you should have a minimum of three..this one has 4

striblue
01-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Here is one with Peacock herl at the top.

Eddie
01-09-2004, 08:33 PM
I have tied some nice ones with only one bunch. Sparse with great profile. I have been trying to mix colors (dark on top) and find that subltle blends (ala KA.) work well. One day I will figure out how to post pix...that would be cool.

striblue
01-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Eddie...Please don't tell me you are counting bucktail strands.... My eyes wont let me do that.;) ... seriously though..I have been trying some small ones as well with one clump or two clumps... anxious to try them this spring. ( Even if schoolies usually hit anything that moves).

juro
01-10-2004, 08:44 AM
John -

My discussion with Bob was concerning methods of extending the body and thus the area on which to tie addtional flares.

He described a method of twisting monofilament with two vises, which sounded ideal and more flexible.

Since I have experience tying tube flies, I asked about using a nylon tube extension. He thought it would be fine and I plan on using this method for adding length/extra flares to attain the 10-12" profile I need.

Adrian
01-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Steve Farrar, a very talented tier from Joizey uses a stiff mono extension to get extra length. There's an example of his pattern on the Atlantic Saltwater Flyfishers site.

I think Steve was tying at the Marlboro show last year, I don't remember which booth he was on but the flies were extremely impressive.

Eddie
01-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I bought some aluminium tubes last spring to try this. Never got arround to it. I think that the plastic tubes combined with the bouyant bucktail might make the fly float funny. Of course the metal tubes might be HEAVY....DUCK!
I think that this technique might work better for cigar shaped bait (like macs and pollock) but maybe not as good for herring.

Penguin
01-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I've been spending some quality HERRING time in the Bunker Skunk Worx (BSW)...

The BIG one is a long hollow tye with hackles and some peacock herl...
The BigEyeBodyBraidHollowTye has some bucktail hollow tyed to 150# mono added to the hook shank for the extra length...
The more standard RainbowHerringHollowTyeEpoxyHead is my more typical pursuit...

They will all be offered up to striped herring hunters in the Spring estuary/tidal river forward operating locations...
Let's go phishing!

Penguin
01-10-2004, 09:13 PM
...these semi-weedless HighTyedHookUpSuperHairringPharSideBadBoyz...

Less philling/tastes great...

FrenchCreek
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Is there a place where this technique is illustrated?
Maybe that some (?) guy could do something for us ignoramusees...

Penguin
01-10-2004, 10:36 PM
I've been playing with this fuzzy motion for a while and thought I had invented the wheel...only to find out there are quite a few others doing it one way or another...
Since I developed it (my version of the wheel) alone in the solitude of my BSW and without outside influence, I'm pleased with how it's evolving and will be drowning a boxful in about 4 months...

Here's the deal:
Tiemco 411S 3/0 or larger...any wide gape hook will do...I had some bent 411's and when they're gone I'll probably use 4/0 Verivas...
Dress hook with clear mono from eye to normal bend...
White super hair tyed at bend, thumb-nailed around hook shank...
Pearl sparkle braid wrapped over tyes from bend to eye...
The remainder is tyed over the body braid...
Sparse tapered clumps on super hair high-tyed (on the phar side) with hook UP...
Sparse tapered clump slightly longer with each tye...(or you can trim to shape to complete profile)
Half way up the shank some dark peacock flash or dark strands of super hair to inply a lateral line...
Tye in some pearl flash on the sides to imply scales...
Start blending in some lavender then light blue sparse clumps as tying reaches the head of the phly...
More sparse pearl flash...
Work your way to the eye and finish with some peacock herl or black super hair...
Tye off and apply epoxy to the head and exposed body braid...
Add 3-D or holographic or (for you Moonie fans) jungle cock eyes...
One more coat of epoxy on the head and eyes...
A light coat coat of hard as nail/hull whatever...OR some Black Duck Fly Tamer (I just started playing with this and sofarsogood)
Apply water, preferably in front of some hungry striped consumers and keep your hand clear of rapidly spinning reel parts!

That's off what's left of a once fully functional mellon...
I hope this is what you had in mind?! Otherwise...never mind!

Penguin
01-10-2004, 11:15 PM
You were talking about Hollow Tye...
The bucktail it tyed on the hook shaft in the other direction (towards the hook eye) thumb-nailed evenly around theshaft and then bent back toward the barb and tyed hard to achieve some flairing...I use old bullet brass...a ball point pen body works too...whatever blows your skirt up and turns the buck tail in an even phashion. The tighter the thread pull, the more flair you get...
Flair=Hollow
Spares=Good
Layer upon layer toward the hook eye, blending colours and flash as desired as you go...maybe some herl for the dark back...
Finished with an epoxy head and some eyes of your liking...or a phashioably small tyed head and some jungle cock...or ???
At least that's how I do it...
Does that make sense...or am I howlin' at the moon?!
TOO CCCOLD...:confused:

FishHawk
01-11-2004, 05:15 PM
What the key is to tying this fly in my opinion and confirmed by Bob is he quality of the bucktail used. Went to the Saltwater's Edge and got some nice stuff. By the way Bob Popvic's bucktails are from the Edge. Get the extra select primium tail.
FishHawk:D

Eddie
01-12-2004, 09:44 AM
at this point, I gotta say that John Rysinech's fly in the latest flyTyer magazine should be of intrest. Imagine a buffy/spreader fly and a Hollow Flye combined, but with no spreader. Similar to Striblue's Featherbrain but an evolution of Rysenich's Air Head series. From the artical, I think that it could be improved/taylored to meet the needs of all sorts of situations.
John is the guy that makes Softex. Anyone else see this fly?

Dble Haul
01-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Eddie, if you're talking about the Fathead fly, I saw it and was quite impressed. I can see all kinds of possible applications for the method, including scaled down versions for freshwater.

striblue
01-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Eddie...yes..i saw it...wish I thought of it... a great idea and it has a lot of potentioal to make different size heads....I am posting two additional pics of the Hollow fly AFTER Bob was kind enough to help me ... Both pictues are showing the roundness of the fly and....one is the side.. the next is from the top... hard to tell which is which unless your told...see next two photo's... He told me to start my first tail tye tighter than my previous flies... which made a difference...

striblue
01-12-2004, 10:18 AM
...now from the top down...

FrenchCreek
01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
John these are great teaching pics. It's often really hard to determine the shape with only one view of the fly.
Thank's for the lesson's....
Same to you Penguin!

Jazzman
01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the great photos, Striblue. Lookin' good.
I've been playing with this style for a couple of years now. Discovered it's description on the ASWF site. Two observations -- first, the post above about bucktail quality is right. The better the bucktail, the better the fly. I like straight, relative fine bucktail with mayble a little crinkle myself. Second, you almost can't make these things too sparse. When I really reduce the bucktail to a point that it looks a little sketchy before applied, I've usually hit on the right amount. It's hard to tell from web pictures, but the fly looks and behaves best, in my opinion, when you can really see through it when you hold it up to the light. Three or four thin collars seems to be about right. Finally, you can alter the shape of the fly by varying the length of the reversed collars. I kind of like to get shorter and shorter as I approach the hook eye, as described for the bucktail deceiver in Popovics' book, at least for a bunker shape. For a longer narrower profile, longer collars all along work well.

Penguin
01-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Although common knowledge, I don't think it's been mentioned that...
The bucktail fibers near the base tend to be more hollow than the end tip material...these hollower hairs flair/splay better when the thread gets pulled tight. Medium to heavy mono thread works better than waxed nylon as it concentrates pressure...if there's some softer base material, the splayed hollow effect will be even more pronounced.
If, after you snip a chunk of nice long premium bucktail, you pinch the longer ends and then pull on the base fibers to cull out all the fuzz and shorter material (repeat as necessary to thin the herd). The results will be a sparser and longer HollowTye as you work your way up the hook shank, blending colours as you go.
Finish with some peacock herl (or ?) for a darker back, then add some eyes and you're off to the races!

striblue
01-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Good Points..I have been going back and forth with BobP on this.... If you are interested..he posted some incredible flies on the stripersonline board... I just must give that site reference since it is where Bob posts...love to get him on board here.

Penguin
01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Have HIS people call OUR people...
Maybe DO lunch...
A book deal...
Maybe a movie?!
Do you feel LUCKY...Punk?!
Try to get Clint Eastwood to play Stiblue...
Maybe a Kopac sorta' spin?
Kevin Spacey owes me a favour...
Jack Nicholson isn't busy...
Talktoyousoon
Chao

sean
01-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Interesting Striblue! Thanks for sharing this pattern on the board. Always amazed at the stuff the east coasters are coming up with for the salt.

Will have to order some bucktail from saltwater edge as the bucktail we get out here does not compare. Gives me some ideas for beach fishing out here...also some steelhead flies could benefit from this style as well.

-sean

striblue
01-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Popovic feels that this fly really takes the most out of you to tye..he feels it really opens the door to some creative tying. I for one find that the sparser the fly the more difficult it is to get that perfect circle plus you can hide mistakes with thicker applications of bucktail.... The wall you have to build up to get the proper flair is NOT easy to do... it takes some real touch and the choice of bucktail is most key as well.... I have done one where I had to rip it apart because of the difficulty in making a perfect circle... I now have a bunch of bucktail to save for other patterns...but you can easily go though one whole buctail patch just trying to get it right. He has ,himself, has done many which he needed to perfect and do over...You also MUST be sure you are paying attention as you do your wraps... they must be even..not applyed haphazardly... so your turns must be equal around not off to one "slight side... this effects the eveness of the flair... also you need to finger it around "equally"..otherwise that mistake becomes obvious as the hair flairs out slightly... you build the wall as far as you need to control the flair... and finally.... the Bucktail..MUST be straight back.. that is straight in the tie as well... this is hard to explain and this is one fly where watching it done is almost a necessity.

Penguin
01-12-2004, 04:55 PM
IMHO
Several other sponsors and purveyors of fine (buck) tail...
Scott at the Bears' Den has some sweet (steroid induced?) in-house dyed (by the Dyemeister) premium bucktails...
...and the Rod Builders' Work Shop has been genetically altering BIG tails for years...Smittys' Chyrnoble connection?

Dble Haul
01-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Pete, you're getting me excited with all of that tail. ;) :p