Ice in river [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ice in river

wet fly
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Now I am learning how our friends from the mid-west must feel. As I check out the river and walk out on the shore ice and see the chunks of ice floating down the river. I could fish with gear and cast out between the ice flows. I have caught many this way in years past. As far as fly fishing I think I will wait until it warms up. At least the river is clear which is unusual for this river. Or maybe I could put a little more wood in the stove and walk down and try the last half hour. After all I have not fished for a few days. Jerry

Robert
01-06-2004, 10:20 PM
A long time ago I saw a fellow above I-5 breaking the river ice trying to get room to chuck some gear, maybe that was you Jerry.

All I know is I've been tying a lot of flies and trying to figure out how to grow pears.

Oh yeah, and putting logs on the fire!

Willie Gunn
01-07-2004, 03:29 AM
Ice in rivers can be a problem in Scotland but once the ice is broken it is said that the fish readily come on the take. Grue, ice crstals in the water is what stops fishing over here.

There is no gear fishing allowed on highland rivers

wet fly
01-08-2004, 09:54 AM
The transition day before the river comes up is the day we all wait for. Yesterday I missed it as the river came up a foot before the ice cleared out. It should bring in a new run of fish. Jerry

KerryS
01-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Jerry,

As I drove over the river to and from work I watched as the ice built up along the banks and then started flowing down the river. I even saw some ice in the Skagit. It is a sight not seen around these parts very often and I like it that way.

Robert,

"Decent Member?"

Robert
01-08-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm curious now as to when was the last time the Skagit had a good freeze over. As a kid listening to the old timers talk I always got the impression that it was not an uncommon occurance in earlier times for the lower river to freeze over in winter.

A tale from the oral history of Avon, which was quite a bustling place in it's time, tells of ice skaters on the river in 1906 when all of a sudden the ice began rolling in waves and cracking. Supposedly this happened at the same time as the San Francisco earthquake.

A little research shows the San Fran quake of 1906 happening on April 18th. To my thinking it would have to have been a pretty long cold winter to still have ice thick enough for skating in the middle of april.

That's the thing with rivers, if you're not fishing them you find yourself sitting and pondering their mystery.

Robert
01-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Now this is kind of interesting:

http://www.tpl.lib.wa.us/cgi-win/disastr2.exe/Winter_of_1861%7Cdisaster%5Cwinter.861

KerryS
01-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Moonlight
01-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I lived in Sitka Alaska for twenty plus years and spent a little time with rivers too frozen to fish off and on during the winter. This however did not translate to conditions cold enough for good ice for skating and hockey, as I recall it was not an annual event when the ice got thick enough to go out on the Lake, more like once in three years.
The historic records show that the Russians when they owned Sitka were able to export Ice (every year) from the lake in the middle of town down to SanFransisco for half the year. I have float tubed the lake every month of the year for cutts and dollies I guess it's warmer now
I don't doubt the stories the old timers have about how much colder it used to be than it presently is. I as we all who observe our surroundings know its happening right now, maybe even faster.

wet fly
01-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Robert, As I sit here waiting by the fire for the river to get back in shape I realise how good we have life. Those early pioneers were concerned with just surviving the winter. My father would talk about the big snow of 1916. I will look at the archives to see if it was really 4 feet. I think of the many days I have walked down to the river with fresh snow on the ground. The river had that dark color and was very fishy. One could visualize a steelhead at any moment. Peaceful memories. Jerry

Robert
01-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Especially if you check this out:

http://www.historylink.org/output.CFM?file_ID=2872