Just got the new Airflo WF-12-I cold water line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Just got the new Airflo WF-12-I cold water line

peter-s-c
12-30-2003, 04:37 PM
so will nail knots do or will they pull the coating off the core?

Albrights?

Nail knotted braided loops?

Backing knot????

loco_alto
12-30-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by peter-s-c
so will nail knots do or will they pull the coating off the core?

Albrights?

Nail knotted braided loops?

Backing knot????

nail knots? avoid

albright? good

braided loops? good

backing? braided loop

Because this line is slick, I prefer to rough up the finish with sandpaper or a file in the area that will receive a braided loop

peter-s-c
12-30-2003, 07:49 PM
thanks - will do . . .

FishHawk
12-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Albright knot is the way to go. Be sure you can tie it quickly in the field. I had one go on me and it took a long time to tie it in the field. Also, I do not like braided loops you have to keep an eye on them. I had one go on me and I lost a shooting head in the process. FishHawk;)

peter-s-c
12-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Did your braided loops slip off or break off?

rel1
12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
The best way to achieve a loop in either end of the fly line is to simply whip a loop in the flyline itself. When i do it I use a thread(3/0) of a color that won't attract bluefish and whip the loop- just like tying off the head of a fly only the wraps are longer- 1/2" for the tip and 3/4" for the running line end and the loops I make are about the same size. In the clear lines I use mono tying thread for whipping then appply some Duco cement and the line will wear out before the loops will. Just my $.02. Ron

peter-s-c
12-31-2003, 10:35 AM
I've done that with Dacron core lines where I remove the coating then make a loop, but I was reluctant to try this with a mono core line.

loco_alto
12-31-2003, 12:40 PM
whipped loops work great in this line if you retain the coating. However, I cut the tapered front of my line so that I could attach sections of leadcore for fishing rips. With a full thickness of WF10 doubled over, a whipped loop is unmanageable. Since I loop tips on anyway, I've stuck with braided loops. Done properly they will not fail.

sean
12-31-2003, 12:55 PM
I have one I used a whipped loop for and it is great but it is of a smaller weight line. Like Loco said you need to whip the full line , do not remove any of the fly line.

For the bigger lines a braided mono loop works great. Not sure why people complain they fail. I think it is because they are using those shrink wrap sleaves supplied by airflo to secure the braided loop. That is a big mistake. A nail knot with 10lb maxima will ensure the loop never slips.

-sean

peter-s-c
12-31-2003, 01:50 PM
Sean

That's why I asked the question as I've never had a nail knotted braided loop fail, though when I've used heat-shrink only, they have pulled off. I now put one nail knot on trout lines and two on the heavier lines. I also work the point of the fly ine up into the doubled-over section of the braid to prevent weakness developing where it might otherwise hinge.

OTOH, I generally don't like using braided loops on sinking lines as they tend to trap air and keep the tips up. But I suppose that doesn't matter with a 3/0 clouser on the end.