Winter Excursion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Excursion

DFix
12-29-2003, 02:56 PM
To BANFF!!! - Yes, the Infamous Banff - f - f !!

First week of February.

Would anyone have any kind and generous tips/ideas to lend; my sister is looking forward to this visit more than can be described!!!

(Don't hurt yourselves laughing! :tsk_tsk: :eyecrazy: :eek: )

jfbasser
12-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Ice fishing could be good:D

BigDave
12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Yes I have a tip:

Bring your skis.

:D

fredaevans
12-29-2003, 05:17 PM
But the good news is it's knock down BEAUTIFUL there in the winter. Now if you were going to Banff, Scotland you could join Malcom on his 'home waters.' "Their season" opens Jan. 15th.

I assume your staying at the Lodge?

Willie Gunn
12-29-2003, 05:25 PM
What is wrong with Banff then? I take it is the Canada upstart you are referring to not the Scottish original.

We have a Banff Springs as well you know.

FrenchCreek
12-29-2003, 06:31 PM
I live about one hour away from one (Canada) and about 15 hours away from the other(Scotland). Know not about #2 but can share info on #1...
What do you need to know?

Dana
12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
I lived in Banff for a couple of years in the early 90s and have been back lots since. Not a whole lot has changed. PM me if I can help.

fredaevans
12-29-2003, 08:05 PM
in bed. These late night postings .....???
:>)

Originally posted by Willie Gunn
What is wrong with Banff then? I take it is the Canada upstart you are referring to not the Scottish original.

We have a Banff Springs as well you know.

striblue
12-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Dave... don't forget... I need 12 Boliva Robustos... Ah!.. that a cigar ..Ok?

DFix
12-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Fred: No, some fleabag dump called "Chateau Lake Louise":D

Pete and Dana: Anything and everything you might think of, based on five days of not completely scheduled activities.

I'm pretty experienced with winter activities, camping and such, and am reasonably set with gear, but haven't spent any time in the Canadian Rockies in winter. My sister wants to do some snowshoeing, glacier walking and such; so, she's inviting her Voyageur Sauvage (a la Sergeant Preston of the Northwest Mounted Police!) brother along. As I've mushed teams and done all the other stuff, I'm more interested in weather conditions/extremes in the area; needs to bring more protective outerwear than what might be normal for my area, although I can end up wearing expedition grade mitts and such even to get to work, at times.

As I'm basically 'taking' her shopping to get geared-up, do I expect to go about Banff itself in more casual style clothes as opposed to parka and goggles; should I go with the idea of layered more than heavy outerwear; should she have a pair of snow pants as opposed to my old-fashioned wool and boot sock with mackinaw look??? - hey, I'm one of the few people I know who owns sixty year old bearpaw snowshoes and still uses them!!! so I'm certain you guys can educate me regarding conditions there so I don't go way overboard packing for not only an airliner but also to have enough of the right gear with us.

Malcolm: Remember, these colonial villages and outposts took their namesakes so residents wouldn't forget their roots - it's flattery!

And Now, to the Mayor:

It's "Bolivar", in case you think I'm so totally ignorant as to be unfamiliar with fine cigars or their brand names -

and NO!!! go visit mydiscountcigar.com!!! :razz: :razz: :razz: :chuckle: :smokin: ;)