Convert Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Convert Fly

striblue
12-25-2003, 01:35 PM
Merry Christmas!... here is a fly I have been thinking about after some boat trips off shore. I got the idea from a Bonefish crab I saw called the "Buster Crab". Here is the situation... You are out on a bost and are with two other guys... You've hit a hot spot for stipers feeding around the surface or swimming within 5 to 10 feet of water and your fly is hot. As usually happen at times is the stripers change depth but are still around and are now down around the 20 foot water column. You buddies race frantically to reel in and change flies... but they don't have the same fly that was hot for them and pick the closest with a clouser weight or some other weighted fly.. You simply reel in, tuck a clouser in under the elastic band and cast out with the same hot fly while your buddies are still trashing their fly boxes... You hook 2 fish before they have tied on the new fly... Then it changes again.... but your ready and repeat the process in reverse... I am working on Poppers now. The fly I am showing is a very simple attractor pattern the same upright or upside down..... A couple of these in different colors will be in my off shore box this seaosn. The first picture is your surface or just under surface fly... the elastic band is visible at the nose

striblue
12-25-2003, 01:36 PM
..... now you fly with the closer weight under the elastic band and very secure..but easy to insert and remove.