Razorback Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Razorback Fly

striblue
12-21-2003, 01:05 AM
Experimenting with making sparce flies specificaly for flats fishing off Chatham. I am starting to tinker with Palmered bodies...like wooly buggers...but saltwater... this is very simple and has some flash along a marabou tail...pluck the tip of the marabou feather and bunch up and tie in... then tie in three white hackles... I used a webby hackle for thinkness...but wanted the fly somewhat translucent with a big eye..no flash in the body. The action will be all tail, but the tail is as long as the body. wanted to stay with feather use but not the standard deciver body. The hackles are cut close along the sides and just trimed slightly on top and bottom.. the fly is flat and not round

t_richerzhagen
12-21-2003, 07:01 PM
John is that a circle hook?

Paxton
12-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Nice looking fly John! It would appear to have a lot of potential on the flats. Just came up from the dungeon having tied one....I used pearl estaz for the body instead....looks good, but may be too flashy.....then tried again and experimented a bit on a #2 hook.....pearl estaz body....tail (top to bottom) tied in....a touch of chartreaus maribou, then white maribou, and sparse white bucktail on the bottom to keep maribou from fouling. To be honest...it looks like it would be a good sand eel imitation. Keep those creative ideas coming John! Back to wrapping presents
:)
Ron

striblue
12-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ron..You keep it up too.......t.Rich..The hook is a 3/0 Varivas long shank. I can never remember the number...but it is the dull finish and sharp as any hook comes...like the gamagatsu.

DFix
12-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Varivas 994S. In case anybody's interested, this hook is a GAFF!!!

It's made of stainless, the wire size is .055, +/- It's a danger to somebody not paying attention - it's that sharp!!! I think they're great!!!