Striper fishing in Salem, MA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Striper fishing in Salem, MA

speycastordie
12-18-2003, 01:25 AM
Howdy all! :)

I was just reading some info on the CND spey rods and I came across some pics of some really nice stripers. I know it is a little late in the season but I can't hold this spot in any longer. Email me for me detailed information on where the fish are at this site. But believe me when you get there, you will know.

This place would be perfect for the new CND Atlantis 1111 two hander is anyone has one, hell for that fact even a regular spey rod would work.

If there is anyone in Massachusetts, this place I found with the help of a local friend and guide there in Salem, who can get to this place to fish I reccomend it next year, or even now.

It is right at the Salem/Beverly Route 1A bridge and you need to be on the Beverly side. You need to park at the seafood grocery store, I don't remember the name. However, when you park, you'll need to hop over a little gaurd rail and head down to where the train tracks are and catch fish! Please be careful as there are mussell beds and some of them will take you to your waist!

I liked getting there around 2 1/2 to 4 hours max before low tide to fish. This is a great spot and I highly reccomend it to any and all that can get there. The last time I fished there was in '02 and there was never anyone there. I fished it every late outgoing tide which means I was there at least 2 1/2 weeks out of the month. I started fishing there in mid to late September and the action gets progressive from there. Just me and my fly rod and on average 25-35 stripers averaging schoolies to the mid 30's and a few 40+. For more info on some other sites please feel free to email and ask.

I am now in the greatest part of the U.S. in the Great Northwest. The salmon and steelhead are right up there when it comes to the stripers but nothing compares to a good hammering on a half & half clouser by a striper on a feeding frenzy.

I lived in Massachusetts for 7 long years with the most evil and vile women I have ever met, so believe me when I say I fished alot!

tight lines,
speycastordie!

DFix
12-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Question: From the tenor of your post regarding the Goat Hill channel abutment and on into the Bass and Danvers Rivers, I'm curious - what other 'board 'handles' or "screen names" did you, or could you have used as a local resident, and on which webboards???

Dave17
12-18-2003, 03:14 PM
I second the Mass. women comment. Any chance the area can be fished with a conventional long rod?

speycastordie
12-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Dave, sure can. I would imagine there would be a better chance of hooking a "reel" monster too. The whole area can be fished easily with a fly rod or a conventional rod. There are lobsters and crabs that hang int he general area as well. One thing, when the menhaden some other forage fish are in, feeding on the surface is some really hot action!

Tight lines,
speycastordie

longrod
12-18-2003, 05:42 PM
The goat hill channel is a great spot to fish on any outgoing tide. More than two hours on the incoming and it can become dangerous quickly. Not much room to cast once the tide starts in. A little further up and there is more room.
If you need a schoolie fix it is the best chance to hookup. If you want bigger fish try the Salem side of the bridge behind O'Buster Jr. The rocks there have a lot of fish pass by on the incoming tide.

skyomish
12-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Was that Rowan's Fish Market? How'd you get down to the water? There's steel pilings and such along there from waht I've been able to see. I've come at it the other way via Bass River, but your window of time is pretty limited walking out that way. The other side is great for plugging! Prabably the Beverly side would be too.

longrod
12-19-2003, 07:32 PM
It is a steep climb down the bank next to the chainlink fence. That point is tricky because of all the weeds that overgrow it in the summer. Also loose gravel make it tough as well. Be nice if the city would put in a path of some sort to access that point. Not likely, but I can dream. Incidentally, easy to anchor a canoe or row boat there especially after eight in the evening on an incoming without the wind and boats. Outgoing works too.

skyomish
12-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Are you climbing down near Rowan's boat dock between the new bridge and the railroad bridge? There is a right of way over on the Bass River side of Goat Hill, but it's a bit of a hike around to the Danvers River flow, climbing over/aroung a dock or two. I'm going to have to go over there tomorrow or Sunday and poke around a bit now that the weeds have died.

DFix
12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Sounds like he's going over those 'goat' paths on the inside of the hill, near the fence.

longrod
12-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Yes, over the edge is the quickest to fish near the bridge. It is only thirty feet, still be careful. The mackeral also show up there on occasion too.