Winter Hatchery Brats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Hatchery Brats

tbuehrens
12-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Seeing as how I haven't seen any reports up for a while, I was wondering if anybody has done well on the winter hatchery fish. I am going to be able to hit the rivers in about a week, and I wanted to know what was up. Thanks guys.
-thomas

sinktip
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
I have heard of a few being caught on the fly and the gear guys are doing ok at the usual terminal areas. Water conditions are the main limiting factor I would guess. That and the fact that the brats are not that great of feather biters. If you don't fish though, you can't catch.

Jeff
12-17-2003, 06:53 PM
One thing we all have to remember is that Sinktip is a winter steelhead God so the fact that he hasn't been out is the only reason that the winter fish have been safe.

tbuehrens
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
you are right about needing to fish to find out. That I will do. I was just wondering because this will be my first chance to fish because I will be back from school for christmas break. It's good to hear that the fish are showing better than last year. Thanks.
-Thomas

Just me
12-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Heard a few rumors that the Sky is putting out a few fish above the Sultan. The guy I heard it from is pretty reliable as to what is there.

Jim

juro
12-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Having fished the PNW since the early/mid 80's, even with 3,000 of frozen tundra between where I am now and the river I can tell this is a strong brat year. Hope this translates to strong ocean survival across the board!

Rxfisher
12-19-2003, 09:22 AM
There are hatchery brats coming out of the Skagit and Cacade river. I saw a couple fish taken by gear guys in the upper Skagit this week. No steelhead for me, a couple of chunky dollies, and some time getting aquainted with another spey rod. RX

tbuehrens
12-19-2003, 11:20 AM
sounds like a good time. thanx for the report. I was planning on hitting the skagit within the next two weeks anyway so it is good to know there are fish to be had.
-Tom