New rod choice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New rod choice

sean
12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey All,

I am thinking about builidng a new 6wt for beach / big trout fishing.

Looking at the powell tiboron II or a T&T horizon. They cost about the same.

Just curious as to what you all think,

-sean

flytyer
12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
I'd get the Horizon in the 10 ft model because it has more power and is faster than the Powell. And it has that wonderful fast-progressive action that the T&T 2-handers are known for.

loco_alto
12-17-2003, 12:50 AM
T&T offers 4 Horizon 6 weights. Here's how I rate the actions:

906 - fast - loads immediately
906s - extra fast - loads with a 6 wt past 30 feet
966 - medium fast - loads immediately
1006 - fast - loads with a 6 weight past 20 feet

The 906 is a great utilitarian rod. The 906s is truly a saltwater rod, quite fast. I can load it, but not so enjoyable for me - the tip is stiffer than the freshwater taper, and its stiffer all way through the butt. The 966 is a real sweetheart and will give a good fight on large trout. The 1006 has a stronger butt, more stiff overall, and great for small steelhead and distance.

I don't know the Powells, but to be honest, I have never cast a Powell that I really like. The fast rods are too stiff, and the slower rods always feel tip heavy, IMO

flyfisha1
12-17-2003, 10:09 AM
One-handed or two-handed?

kjackson
12-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Sean-- Before you buy, you might take a look at the G. Loomis StreamDance 10' for a six. It's built of GLX and is a sweet stick, not as sweet a stick as the 9'6" for a five, mind you, but I think it will be a good cannon for the salt.

Keith

sean
12-17-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys. For now I am just looking for a single hander for the beach. In the next year I hope to find that perfect light 2 hander for the beach but there is not one currently made that fits the bill. A few are close but not quite there...

Hopefully Mr. Nodera takes care of that:devil:

The streamdance sounds nice but I imagine they are not providing the blanks. Also I am not into the longer rods although a lot of people like them. 9' seems to work well for me.

Well I think I am going to go with the 906s horizon. Was already leaning that way anyway...

-sean

loco_alto
12-17-2003, 02:18 PM
just a note that the freshwater #6 is adequately stiff and fast for saltwater use. I find the action much smoother and more tuned than the saltwater #6. I do recommend that you cast both the fresh and saltwater #6 before you settle. I bought the blank for the 906s and built it w/o casting it. Sold it soon thereafter in favor of a freshwater #6 that I built with salt components.