New Reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Reel

SmithL100
12-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Guys and Girls,
I am an ametuer fly fisherman with a strong passion for the sport. I started fly fishing about 4 years ago when I came to CU boulder for school and feel deeply in love with the sport. I'll keep the rest short, but I am in the market for a new reel. I currently have a Orvis battenkill Large arbor reel that I absolutley love. I bought it prior to a trip to Alaska and now that I can only make it Around Wyo, Utah, and Colo. I realize that it is basically just a pain to lug around and I get very little feel on it on medium size fish. I want a reel that has a good feel and price is only a moderate concern. I like to buy gear that will preform and last so that I never have to upgrade. I like the sound of Spring and Prawly drag system using the palming technique as a drag. It sounds so much purer form of fishing. I am very intrested in the Abel trout series, and was wondering what people thought of it, and whether there was a better option. My rod is the Sage VPS graphite III 9'0 5 weight. Anyway respond with any helpful information, or if you just want to talk fishing. -Smith

fredaevans
12-13-2003, 07:14 PM
That's the Hardy reels all the way .... at least the big/older ones. You could hear them 50 yards away when line was running out behind a hot fish. And that's the thing I miss most about 'modern reel design'.... no sound!!!
fae
:D

striblue
12-13-2003, 09:05 PM
I don't do much trout fishing anymore because of circumstance and location but I have an Abel TR-1 and it's a jewel. I also own Four Hardy's, one an antique "perfect' and the others a Marqese and a Feather Weight.. The Orvis CFO's which I also have are made by Hardy... but if you look at the Abels in that series, including the Spring Creek, you would be happy .

2HandTheSalt
12-14-2003, 07:21 AM
Hey John, I know a guy who's balance sheet is seriously top heavy in tuna-sized fly reels, and under-capitalized in trout-sized reels. Might be possible to work out a swap????

In the interest of fiduciary responsibility of course.......:smokin:

webbie
12-14-2003, 06:21 PM
If you like Orvis reels, give the Battenkill Barstock a try. It may give you a little bit more feel than the large arbor. I recently picked one up and absolutely love it.

FishHawk
12-15-2003, 07:34 AM
Tibor makes a very nice Trout Reel I believe its call the Freeston. For a mid price reel of outstanding quality and value look at the Ross Evolution.
FishHawk:D

striblue
12-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Jay..it would be a pleasure to do business with you...I could sure use a Tuna reel.... My Orvis are nice CFO's..One is the limited version that is forrest green instead of the metalic grey.

2HandTheSalt
12-15-2003, 09:11 AM
I got one with serial number 002 that I've been saving for a rainy day.:devil:

striblue
12-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Hayden?

2HandTheSalt
12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Hayden Broadbill.

striblue
12-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Let's deal....e-mail me when you get a chance>>>>