Fly Fishing Forum banner

hmmm

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Hammer 
#1 ·
so,here i sit ever near the river Rogue;home of `dink steelhead',,,but many,,,,,so while reading a local coastal paper online the reporter stated that in del norte county,coastal streams therabouts,,extreem northern Cal. for those not familiar,,,had been cought,,a forty pound??? steelhead,42 inches in lenght,!!!,i thought the cal. state record was 28 on the Smith,,i believe the Ore. state is the Rogue,28,,but the fish is listed as a rainbow,,anyone have a clue about this bullet forty pounder????:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: :confused:

#3 ·
Girth?

If we know the girth it is easy to get a good estimate of the weight from one of the formulas. Lets assume a Babine male using the Keelin formula. 40 = (41.75 x girth2)/690. To weigh 40# this steelhead would have to have a girth of 25.7 inches. Low twenties is a much more realistic estimate of a 42 inch fish. Would a reporter exaggerate or get it wrong?!!! Its in print, it has to be correct, doesn't it?

#4 ·
LOL

Yeah, would have to see it. I've personally seen 2 30# steelhead taken (I was netboy on one, and these were before native release, so don't shoot me guys lol so were weighed). But most pics I've seen of 30# steelhead are far from what I've seen personally. That's including the adjustment for size and holding position of fish. A 30# steelhead has some odd size looks to them. I've only seen one that was up near 40, and that was a picture of the one the now doctor (was a child then) caught up in Alaska. That was a REALLY big fish. LOL. But I recently saw a 30# steelhead caught in great lakes. Fish looked nowhere near 30, more 20. 10#'s is quite a bit of difference in looks overall. Would be a nice thought, but wonder if it may be a "trout", like a beardslee up here. Which get pretty big (at least the one's we've downriggered out of the OlyPen). Possibly not a steelhead. I've had people show me nice "silvers" they've caught, but looking at coloration and color of gums, told me something otherwise. Yup, could be a mistake. But if it's that big, want to see it for sure.

#5 ·
bullet or bull----

it's in the coastal newspaper,,loacated in brookings-harbor,plus,north to gold beach,,inCURRY COUNTY,yes i read it this morn.so ,it is in print,but when was this animal cought,,,1950???,i've e-mailed this reporter before ,and got no reply,so,,:confused:

#7 ·
Hey, Steelheader...

I saw the pic of the self-proclaimed "30 pounder" from the Great Lakes, too. And, like everyone who commented on the fish, I thought it was lucky if it made 20. It also looked like it was diseased, if I remember right.

I think the guy was doing "shameless self-promotion". He was a guide, also if I remember right.

BobK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.