craft fur sandeel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: craft fur sandeel

flyaweigh
12-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Here is a sandeel pattern done in craft fur that I've had good success with over the years

Capt. Stan Mackerwicz
http://evilendeavors.com/StansFlies_files/Pict0036a.JPG

doogue
12-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Capt. Stan,

I like that one.

I am going to have to tie some up!

What do you coat the heads with - anything?

Thanks,

Mike

striblue
12-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Stan.. I think those or TOO nice! Craft fur or the polar fiber make a great profile and your use of the little silver beelies is , in my opinion..your "trade Mark"... since I see this concept in many of your flies... as i saw when you tied last year at the show... The upside down fly and the bead fly are really something else.

flyaweigh
12-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Mike, I use a bead of softex around the gill plate,eyes and thread, then I rub a drop of softex between my finger tips and apply it to the surface of the craft fur to just beyont the hook bend, this will stiffen it just enough to prevent most of the tail wrapping that this flimsy material is prone to, yet still keep the action in the tail that makes this material so good.

doogue
12-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Stan,

Thanks for the update. I am always interested in how different folks keep flies from fouling.

Back in the day I used EP fibers to tie a bunch of non hi-tie deceivers with disastrous results. Too much fouling even if I stiffened up the material with some softex.

I don't like EP fibers. But I do like craft fur so I will give these a try.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

-Mike

rooster
01-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Nice Fly,
Where do you get the craft fur?
The materials that I see our West are a little different.
Thanks,
rooster

FishHawk
01-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Try the Bear's Den one of our sponsors he dose mail order.
Fishhawk:D

FrenchCreek
01-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Is there a "Brand Name" for this craft fur? or several maybe?

striblue
01-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Pete. is is very much like "polar fiber" only a tiny bit coarser . I would think you can tie these with that...only the other consideration is that the polar fiber may be shorter . There are longer wades of polar fiber as well. But I would defer to Stan on whether that would make a good substitue for his flies.

saltydog
01-03-2004, 06:29 AM
STAN, nice clean profile,
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:smokin:

flyaweigh
01-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Rooster, French,
The material used in these particular flies was Polar Fiber, but it was from a patch I purchased a few years ago. The Polar Fiber available today seems to be shorter with a lot less material in the package (must have something to do with profit margin). There are several other brands available and they all seem to work OK.
The important thing is to pullout the shorter hairs so the profile is long and slender.

AdrianV
08-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Went fishing first time for seabass (no stripers in Europe) a comparable fish growing up to about 20 lbs. In amongst guys casting plugs without catching any ("you can only catch them on crab") I had three on this fly. Only change I made was applying epoxy till just behind the hookbent in order to stop the tail wrapping around the hook. It still has a great action. Thanks for the pattern.
Adrian

striblue
08-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Adrian... is there bait such as Sand eels where you fish...or do you attribute the takes from the fish seeing something "new"?

Adrian
08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if its the exact same species, but we get sandeels in Europe and size for size they would look identical.

AdrianV
08-18-2004, 04:52 AM
Indeed we do have sandeels in Europe too, and they must look the same as the ones in the states. I'll include a pic, it might be so that colors differ a bit.
The latin name is Ammodytes spec.
As far as I'm concerned this pattern looks realistic. Next tying session I'll make them weedless, as fishing overhere (where I'm fishing) is in between enormous (man made) blocks which are covered with weed and shells. Everytime you get stuck you have to break up or manouver the bellyboat into the spot your fishing.
AdrianV