Fly Fishing Forum banner

Words of Advice- from Gartside

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
Words of Advice- from Jack Gartside

At last night's UFT meeting Jack Gartside gave us an enjoyable slide show on his fly fishing life... one piece of advice I remember which I will share is when he was fishing out west at the Yellowstone in the 1960's.... There were many black bears around and he said that if you are fishing in an area known for a large population of black bears...Here is his first piece of advice.... be sure to have a fishing buddy with you who is a much slower runner!

#3 ·
While we joke about this, caution should be observed around bears. Last week in the town next to mine a group of hunters got surprised by a bear in a state forest while eating lunch. In the resulting panic one of the hunters accidentally got shot in the head. The hunter was in fair condition the last I heard and the bear got away.

#4 ·
We have both Black bears and Griz around here.
When on the trail that goes up the mountain side to the lake, always look for bear signs, usually bear scat.
Black bear scat is full of berries and not much else...
Griz scat can immediatly be identified because in addition to berries, it also contains bear bells, the type bought at the local hiking shop by unsuspecting tourists!
:chuckle:

#5 ·
I ran into a bear on the banks of the Mcloud and I was struck by how slow and stupid it looked. At that instant I realized that this might be the bears most deadly attribute.
I suspect that the bear was stuck by how slow and stupid I looked.
I threw a rock at it and the bear ran away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.