Trout Fishing 101. Class #3 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout Fishing 101. Class #3

blawless
12-03-2003, 05:38 AM
You are fishing with a bunch of guys from your inner tube in the middle of a well
known, fly only, body of water. Chopaka Lake to be exact. Everyone is midge
fishing except you, and you are tweaking a dragonfly nymph along the bottom when
you receive a wrenching strike followed by a long run that goes straight under the
boots of a fellow fisherman. He gets loose but you canít seem to get control even
though you are pressuring the fish all you can. They make room but a lot of time
goes by and the ribbing keeps getting worse. You want to whip the fish, hold him
up for some oohs and ahhhs, and then make a quick release. But the damn fish will
have none of it. You canít even get him anywhere near close. More jokes and
laughs come. Then, horror upon horror, the leader snaps. What do you do or say at
this point?

BobK
12-03-2003, 06:34 AM
"Oh, $hit!" - (That's about the least you can say under the circumstances.)

You seem to have done everything right. Put all the pressure on you could - that was verified by the tippet finally giving way. SOME fish are just too big for the tackle we are using, or the leaders we are forced to use, or the conditions.

Often, I have had to pressure the big steelies, salmon, or lake-run Browns to keep them out of a downed tree, or other similar mess (like a waterfall). Sometimes the tippet holds, and some times it doesn't. Either way, you still land more fish than the guys that don't follow this procedure....

Also, we owe it to the fish to get them in is quickly as possible if we are going to practice "C&R". That alone tells me that pressuring a fish is a good thing.

BobK

SDHflyfisher
12-03-2003, 03:41 PM
i'd have to agree w/ bobk you did all you can it is as simple as that

MJC
12-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't know what I would do, probably fix up the leader and give it another go. As to what I would say would be some good truck driver swearing, but what I would think to myself would be "dumbass, you knew there are large fish in this lake and you should of used heavier tackle and tippet so you could land the fish quickly without causing it more stress then need be".

SDHflyfisher
12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
true expesially because he was using a damsel he could have gotten away with a heavier line

MJC
12-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Sean, That is the way I see it.

Moonlight
12-04-2003, 12:05 AM
Sorry Bob but the vision of some twit sitting in a well in a float tube is emblazoned in my minds eye. I was sure this was some new type of "Snipe Hunt"! I'll read the lesson again tomorrow and maybe I will be able to get past the well thing.

flytyer
12-04-2003, 01:14 AM
BobK got it right. A minor expletive and possibly just sitting there with a dumb, blank look on your face for a few seconds should do it. Then I'd tie another of the same fly on with a heavier tippet and have at it again. Afterall, it is called fishing isn't it?

dewey
12-04-2003, 10:05 AM
I would most certainly continue fishing.

John Desjardins
12-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Guys you all missed one thing. If, and only if, the person who you got tangled up with is a real good fried there should be a few barbs delivered to him on the order of "Next time leave your sharpened fins at home" :devil:
Other than that I agree its back to fishing. The upside is that you know what to use and how to present it.

Dble Haul
12-04-2003, 10:39 AM
'Tis better to be connected to a big fish for some time than not at all!

Back to fishing....I doubt any of them would say too much, especially since your rod is the only one that has been significantly bent by a decent fish. ;)

blawless
12-04-2003, 11:04 PM
A. The Professor speaks:
Dewey and Double Haul will move to the front of the class and receive their A's. Anyone with a response similar to theirs will get an A. The rest an F.
Coarse language is never acceptable in this class nor in the outdoors. Cool, calm and very professional behavior is what we are teaching here. Buy a few cigars. Light one up.
"Get up!; don't let them see you are hurt!" said Ronney Lott to his corner backs when the 49 defense was without parrallel. So light up, rig up, and don't show those tears.
Bob, the I've Got To Make Men Out Of These Fellas.
Professor Lawless, the Please don't ask for extra favors.

BobK
12-05-2003, 07:15 AM
A minor "expletive" just makes me feel better!

BobK:devil: :hehe:

SDHflyfisher
12-05-2003, 03:18 PM
i failed i get really exlpletive but quietly