12-02-2003, 11:45 AM
WORK IS KILLING ME AND MY RIVER IS BLOWN

I think I fell better now

sinktip
12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
I hear you brother!

mattzoid
12-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Worse yet...have days off and work evening shift with the rivers all shot out. Tides are a bit off for the Salt too. Going to test some more heads on the grass instead. MUST.........GET.....OUT....OF....HERE.

Matt

Nailknot
12-02-2003, 03:11 PM
This is the worst fall fishing I've had in YEARS! Rivers always blown and work work work.

OC
12-02-2003, 03:42 PM
We are only at the begining of December and I'm wanting a tropical flat somewhere secret in the Indian Ocean. The twenty plus hour flight, the 3 day boat trip would put me as far away as one could ever want to get from what we have been dealing with here.
Think about it , 80 degree water to wade and Maui Jims all day long.:smokin:

Philster
12-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey OC

If'n you got the time, point the car south and start driving. When you hit La Paz Mexico, turn North East.

Haggle with some of the commercial fisherman to take you out in their Panga. Not to "crew" for you, just to take you where they are going. Bring lots of olive and white flashtail clousers in 2 to 2/0. Help the guys out while they handline in a 10 foot tiger shark.

Pretend you're Hemingway and turn the clock back 5 decades or so. You will be a changed man. Whether being a changed man is a good thing or a bad thing, I will leave up to you and those who know you:rolleyes:

flytyer
12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
The only thing worse than having the rivers blown as long as they have been around here when you have a lot of work, is to be unemployed with lots of time to fish and having the rivers blown. This is the worst bout of unemployment I've ever had and the cabin fever gets worse each week the rivers are out.

loco_alto
12-02-2003, 05:09 PM
http://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/20000625/oregon.jpg

fredaevans
12-02-2003, 05:36 PM
but given you started it ... hit Denmon Bar just north of Medford for about an hour late this morning. Several guys using spinning gear/float/flys; only one fly guy ... but he'd already hooked 4 fish, and beached another one just after I got there.

Best I could determine from the old fella's that tend to collect there, at least 10-11 fish had already been hooked/released from about 8am to 11:30am.

fae

Should have added: river is up about 5 inches, but still running clear. But, with the added water, sink tips or very heavy dark (especially olive) are now the 'go to's' again.

t_richerzhagen
12-02-2003, 05:57 PM
Fred is bragging again. Your situation makes us a little jealous.

NrthFrk16
12-02-2003, 09:16 PM
:devil: :devil:

:smokin:

Hammer
12-02-2003, 11:02 PM
to kerry s,,the rogue,she still loves ya' baby,i fished her one night,dipped my cap ,,,thought of ya',,,peace man>>>>>

roballen
12-02-2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah work is such a pain. I mean who wants to put up with coming in on a Monday morning the smell of graphite dust in the air. Talk to a couple truly good people about fishing over the weekend. Then to make matters worse I have to go and cut out a bunch of 14ft spey rods and maybe a few trout rods well then it gets worse and I have to go eat a doughnut and wiggle a new prototype to see if it feels good.
Geez then ya gotta run all the way down to the river to try out a new tip for a 4 piece spey rod then of course it's too lite so you have to go back and make another one then come back to the rier and try it out! Then when thats done some customer is at the door and you have to listen to him for 5 minutes while he tells you a story about how he broke his 8 weight on a silver in Alaska or a steelhead in BC.
Then ya have to go polish some guides or cut some rod tubes and ship someones new rod to them.
Yeah I have to admit work is just a terrible annoyance :D :hehe: :rolleyes:

MJC
12-03-2003, 12:00 AM
You only give the customers 5 minutes to talk about their triumphs or failures. For the price a "Burkie" costs they should get at least an hour of your time.:devil:

Riveraddict
12-03-2003, 12:59 AM
I concur - AAAArrrrggg!
I too feel the pain! Heck, I've been contemplating doing some pirating of southern waters (Oregon) if I can manage to jockey some commitments around to allow a trip.
This is a very weak salve on a deep wound, but keep in mind that sustained high water flows (as long as it doesn't flood again), will actually be the best thing that can happen for the Skagit following what has happened this fall. Constant volume will flush the sediments out quicker (clearing smothered substrate), hopefully enough so to give any buried eggs and parr a better shot at survival. I think that it was the flood of "90 that was followed by low river flows and we were plagued with sediments for quite some time. In the flood in the mid '90's sustained high water flows seemed to clean the river out very quickly. Of course no one can predict Mother Nature, but I'm hoping that a quick recovery will be the case this time also.
It is tough to suffer through these periods of not being able to fish, however the last 6-7 years on the Skagit/Sauk system have been unusually conducive to large amounts of fishing time. Prior to this, from when I first started fishing here in the mid '80's up to the mid '90's, the Sauk was a river that had a notorious reputation for going out at the slightest hint of rain, and the Skagit below its confluence with the Sauk was accordingly impacted. To top it off, when the rains finally backed off a bit, usually around the first week in April, then the sun would come out, and after a few days of this, start to produce snowmelt. At this point the Sauk would once again blow out. I can remember many seasons where the Sauk was totally chocolate milk for the last 7-10 days of the season. This was during the time when the Mixer was still a very good piece of flywater (probably THE piece of water that accounted for most fly caught steelhead), and when the Sauk blew out, one of the darned few places on the Skagit to catch fish. If you read Trey Comb's book, there are two statements he made that are wise not to forget regarding these rivers. 1- many rivers reputations as steelhead flyfisheries are derived from just a few pools, sometimes even only one . 2- entire seasons have been lost due to unfavorable water conditions. These are not exact quotes, but they convey the essence of the thoughts.
I don't mean to wee in anybody's Wheaties, but the past few years on the Skagit system have been incredibly benign as far as fishing conditions go. If it goes back to its prior state, then methinks that there will be a major shift in angling population, back to the Skykomish, just like the way it was before. Think about it, the Skagit/Sauk rivers didn't just sprout out of the ground in the mid '90's. The reason that they suddenly appeared on flyfishers radar was due to a change in conditions.

roballen
12-03-2003, 01:08 AM
MJC Kerry gets the whole story. I am just a poor working stiff keeping his nose to the grindstone:D

Nailknot
12-03-2003, 02:15 AM
I hear what you're saying Riveraddict. We've got some new water to explore since the big rains- a LOT of new water ;). Seems like Sauk and Skagit have been running about 2x 75yr avg flows for almost 8 weeks!

metalhead
12-03-2003, 02:25 AM
at least you washington boys have a chance of things improving before the glaciers melt.it is 20 below zero tonight and the only spey casting is to drill a hole in the ice and step back 80 feet.does rio make heated line???:eyecrazy:

OC
12-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks Philster for the advise. If I did such a trip I could bring my surf broads too. But maybe we need to take up a collection for Kerry and Flytyer. Ya got to feel for those two, I think they are feeling it way more than most of us. Let's start a collection to send both of them to a warm water destination for a couple of weeks. The sun would dry them out a little bit.

Riveraddict,
It would be nice to have that type of history of our local rivers year by year for the last 40 years. Last year I had a wonderful OP trip with Moonlight and he was telling me about the great changes that had been taking place over the last 20 odd years on his home rivers. His observations were keen, what stuck in my mind most was his talk of how the snow line did not come down as low as it used to. That the amount of rain was about the same as always but the volume of water in the rivers had doubled with each system moving through. I wanted to blame that on clear cutting but once I went into the national park where no cutting had ever been done you could see that that the destuction of the river may have been created by too much rain falling as water instead of snow with each system. I wonder if it is the same for our rivers?

sinktip
12-03-2003, 11:41 AM
River Addict,

I also agree that the more high water the better for the Sauk. Still, I am sad to think that some of my favorite runs (and yours too) may be gone.

sinktip

t_richerzhagen
12-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Sinktip - remember the flip side there are now new lies to find and to become new favorites. That is the way of rivers, at least undammed ones. You get a chance to explore and discover, as you once did for your "old favorites".

KerryS
12-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Hammer,

Thanks bro.

KLS

flytyer
12-04-2003, 01:54 AM
Ted,

This is true; but we still need to have the Sauk clear itself out of enough sand and clay for there to be a couple of feet of visibility for fishing. And the Skagit is not going to clear until the suspended clay in the Seattle City Light dams settles out. Also, the Baker dams have a lot of clay and suspended fine sand in them adding to the chocolate milk coloration of the Skagit.

Now the weatherman is saying that we are going to have another very wet storm front hit sometime late tonight or early tomorrow. Snow in the high country with lots of rain, and the possibility of more flooding in the valleys.

Sinktip,

I agree, the high water flows on the Sauk should help to clean the clay and fine sand, which are coloring it up so badly, out and move it down the Skagit to the Sound. The downside though is that each new flood or near flood, and we have had more than a few of these so far this year, has more bank erosions and river channel movement occuring.

OC,

Thanks for thinking of KerryS and I. It is appreciated. By the way, how was the Deschutes trip?

fredaevans
12-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Can't type worth a darn (15 pounds of amorous cat in my lap DEMANDING attention).

Tad over 2 inches of rain in Medford during November, but enough to pull all those summer runs up from below Tou Velle park.

For you Seattle Guys .... It's not that long a drive .
fae

mattzoid
12-04-2003, 11:45 AM
There is only three things stopping me from driving down there right now. 1) 487.34 miles. 2) Driving time is 7 hours, 51 minutes. 3) I have to clock in at work in 5 hours and start passing meds.

Matt

KerryS
12-04-2003, 12:02 PM
I could use some meds......................................maybe something for orneryness..............

mattzoid
12-04-2003, 01:01 PM
It's been my experience that orneriness is just caused by constipation. You probably need more fiber in your diet or a laxative. For really bad attitudes I suggest suppositories and enemas. Never argue with a 230 lb. male nurse, with a whole box of suppositories and hasn't been on the river for weeks. Even my girlfriend is cutting me a wide birth in the morning after I've checked the flows.

Matt

flytyer
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
EGADS Mattzoid!

Sounds like you need to stay away from the meds for a while. You haven't had some of OC's mushrooms have you?

Perhaps the bowel cleanings could help to clear the rivers though.

OC
12-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Maybe a few of OC"s mushrooms will make you see a river clear.

Doublespey
12-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Mattzoid, you give new meaning to the term "Low Holed" :devil:

When you're done with the rivers, I've got some constipated guides you can go to work on! :hehe:

Don't blame me - blame the alcohol content in my Flu meds! :D :D

DS

OC
12-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Evolution can not be denied, Mattzoid has found the new monolith
of the steelhead world! My imagination runs wild with visions of river bottoms and med .... oh never mind this is even beyond any scope enlightenment I could ever give to the steelhead world. This is camp fire talk on a windy, down pour kind of night after a couple of 5ths of Canadian Hardwood and many cheap cigars.

May god help us all.

mattzoid
12-05-2003, 10:56 AM
I just hope God lets us back out the rivers. I think he's gotten into some Fall/Winter river cleaning and can't stop.

Matt

Just me
12-05-2003, 12:09 PM
I hope it gets better as I'm liking the staying at home bit. Tired of tying flies as I have too many now. Was thinking of going to the Snoqualmie until I looked at the flows and then decided to just get in more couch time.

Jim

flytyer
12-05-2003, 01:00 PM
OC,

The only problem is we are not in a fishing camp on a wet and rainy night and the only camp fire burning is in our wood stoves, fireplaces, or central-heating furnaces. But I think I saw a steelhead in the pond down the street. Oops, on closer investigation it was only an old skateboard in the puddle the rain left in the empty lot.

OC
12-05-2003, 01:25 PM
I hear ya flytyer, I've been without power for 18 hours at home. Last night I built a camp fire on the livingroom wall to wall carpet. Damn if it didn't smoke up the whole house. I gave away all my half empty bottles of single malt for Christmas last year and the only thing left in the house was was a cheap bottle of whisky given to me by a Canadian gear fisherman.

But in all seriousness we will fish this winter and it is going to be great. New runs a plenty, hatchery fish to bonk and cook over that camp fire then God will really make his or her way into our hearts and give us a wonderful Native season. After drinking that Canadian Hardwood last night and breathing carpet smoke for hours God slid an e-mail under my front door. It read," For the last 5 years I have sent all Wild Steelhead on a world wide mission, I assure you they will be back home this year."

He wouldn't lie would he? Oh ya, hey that's my skate board.

flytyer
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
OC,

The skateboard was fairly caught and released; therefore, it still swims for another day.

MJC
12-05-2003, 02:56 PM
You boys need to come over here and see "ole Poppy". You can stand outside the shop and have your campfire and tell me tales of days gone by, we can eat some of Linda's pie or cinnamon rolls, we can even stroll down to the Peck Hole and maybe catch us a mighty "B" run fish to top off the day. I know of a 17# that was caught on Tue.

Hammer
12-05-2003, 11:48 PM
how'd he taste???:D