MAN... er.... "isms" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MAN... er.... "isms"

juro
11-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Fisherman-isms that is... surely you have one to share!

(1) Never know where you are actually going to fish on a given morning until you reach the last possible decision point on the road that eliminates the possibility of both. Choose this on a whim and say "should've gone the other way" if you get the white stripe on the day. If you have a superstitious ritual, it is damn near religion. Make sure you follow it "chapter and verse".

(2) Have a mental list of all spots where you can park and snooze for a few hours before daybreak without being woken-up by the police or security guards. Cross-reference with all the 24 hour or 5am coffee shops, avoid back-tracking. Public facilities with hot showers bonus, extra credit for 24/7 access.

(3) The three simple rules of priority: Never sleep when you can tie. Never tie when you can fish. Never fish when you can...

(4) Keep a bucket of change somewhere in the vehicle, add to it continually. This stash of quarters will buy you a desperately needed lunch, put a few gallons in the tank when you really gotta have it, call you a tow truck from the 4x4 beach parking lot, get you a hot coffee and some eggs when there is no ATM in sight, get you a hot shower (see #2), or get you a couple of badly needed flies at the local flyshop. This of course means no food, no gas, no shower, and no coffee. No matter, you got the flies. Under no circumstances are you to use this change at a car wash.

FlyFishAR
11-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Never tell your wife that you will be off the water at 2pm.... :rolleyes:

Greg Pavlov
11-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by FlyFishAR
Never tell your wife that you will be off the water at 2pm.... :
... but always give her a call when you are. It makes a world of difference.

DEERHAAWK
11-30-2003, 02:26 PM
1. The money bucket acts as a coffee mug holder (covering 2 bases) but I have to say, coffee before shower, priorites you understand.
2. I have to concur with the "2-3 am spots" I have also found that draging a sleeping bag into the woods or down by the water lessen's ones altercation percentage, putting you in the "dedicated/crazy flyfisherman" catagory. I mean how much trouble can a guy, stuffed in a mummy bag, with 2 days growth of beard and a modified plastic stick be?
#. I NEVER say exactly where I am going, saves ALOT of problems that way. I have ways of communicating when needed during the trip. I give instead very general direction. I know there are alot of heads and fingers waging out there, but angling could never be that "cut and dry" for me.
4. I think its "Never sleep when you can tie, never tie when you can fish, and ALWAYS fish when you can".
Hope your Sunday is going well!
Deerhawk

jfbasser
11-30-2003, 02:38 PM
Never, never, never pay attention to the Fat Lady's Song.

Chris
12-02-2003, 09:32 AM
If you don't wear a watch you can't be late.

juro
12-02-2003, 10:16 AM
If you sneak away in the morning to fish on a busy weekend, don't go in the house when you get home - head straight for the garage and start the lawn mower. If the first thing she sees is your butt pushing that thing around the yard, somehow she sees your best side. When I turn to see if she's acknowledged, she waves as if to say "all is forgiven". :)