Crayfish pattern? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Crayfish pattern?

John Desjardins
02-26-2001, 09:21 AM
Does anyone have an easy to tie crayfish pattern. Over the last couple of years I've tried a number of different patterns and not liked any of them. They've either been too stiff, complicated or just didn't look or act right. Heck one that I purchased last year floated.

Adrian
02-26-2001, 08:02 PM
Hi John

I found a great shrimp style pattern in SWFF a couple of years ago (The Amazing flats flies of Hiromi Kuboki, Feb/March 1997) which might be scaled up, maybe substitute a frizzed out antron body for the chenile and palmer with a webby spey style hackle? I've taken a couple of digital pix which I'll email to you with instructions (duh.. no web site yet).

Hiromi Kuboki is an incredibly innovative Japanese tier - sadly a webferret search on his name didn't reveal any more patterns.

How about something which starts out like the General Practitioner, add silli-legs?

John Desjardins
03-02-2001, 11:59 AM
Monday, Adrian sent me these instructions & a picture of a shrimp pattern he thought could be adapted to a simple pattern. I told him I'd post the picture & pattern on Tuesday which I never did. Im sorry for my tardiness Adrian. Here is the pattern & instructions Adrian sent me.
<blockquote><hr>
http://www.ultranet.com/~dsjrdns/shrimp2.jpg

The pix are of a bonefish pattern on a size 6 but I reckon it could be scaled up.

Hook: As required according to size
Eyes: Tied in at the bend
Feelers: Kristal flash strands
Claws: Grizzly Hackle points
Body: Tan Chenile
Hackle: Grizzly, palmered
Carapace: 6 - 10 strands of Kristal Hair pulled over the body & tied off
leaving a "stub" for the tail.

Tie in eyes, feelers & hackle point claws.

Rotate the hook and tie in sequence:
1) Kristal Hair carapace
2) Grizzly hackle (at the wide end to get the right profile)
3) Chenile (or other body material)

Wind chenile up to the eye, tie off & trim
Palmer the grizzly hackle through the chenile, tie of and trim.
Pull the carapace kristal hair over the trimmed hackle and tie of.

Trim to leave a stubby tail.
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Adrian.

I've also been corresponding with GregS about this topic and have some interesting ideas. After I get some crayfish tied up I'll post them.

Adrian
03-02-2001, 12:32 PM
Nice work John!

I got around to registering a domain name the other day and hope to get a home page up this week-end. Then I'll be able to contribute pix like all you other guys!

BTW, the eyes on the shimp started out gold!

juro
03-02-2001, 02:21 PM
Gorgeous! Colors are perfect for northeast crayfish. A little blue pheasant rump accent in larger sizes might work too. This would surely be bronzeback candy.

Adrian, when you get the site done maybe we'll put up a member's sites page. In any case, a link to it would be cool!

GregS
03-02-2001, 03:25 PM
Why not use the pheasant rump with blue for the claw hackle, not just highlights...

Be sure to tie some of these in olive for the Hous.....

Tan, brown, and especially olive work there.

Greg