Herring Farts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Herring Farts

GregD
11-28-2003, 08:07 PM
I saw an article in the paper about this and just had to share this discovery! I read about a guy who was studying herring in a fish tank and their response to whale sounds. He had a microphone in the tank switched on while doing something else in his room and heard some sounds like farts coming from the fish tank. He turned it up and listened some more and heard more farting sounds. Nieghbors thought he was being really gross until they discovered what was making the sound.

It turns out herring emit air out their anus, believed to be a way to relieve their swim bladders. Now researchers believe it is possibly a newly discovered means to communicate with one another. This should make for some interesting lures and flies in the future. :hehe:

Greg.

Doc Duprey
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Ah, parallel evolution...

Sounds justlike communication between some members of Senior Management.

Best regards,

-Doc

Penguin
11-28-2003, 09:22 PM
I was hanging under large all metal Air Force wings I had a few Texas Aggie pals...passing gazz seemed to play a major role in their communicative skills and one of the ways they would convey "good morning" or voice a sense of "displeasure"...:rolleyes:

jfbasser
11-29-2003, 08:10 AM
In the study of underwater sound propagation one must learn about various types of noise. One of the official noise sources is called STRAF noise. Prevalent under the ice.

:D Spell it backwards:D

Chris
11-30-2003, 09:02 PM
I caught a report about this on NPR. The scientists that observed this actually called the sounds Frequent Repetative Ticks caused by anal out-gassing, or, FTR's. I wonder how many attempts it took them to come up with something near to fart but remaining somewhat gentile.

fredaevans
12-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Here you are .. the ears/ 'sound man' on a Nuke. And 'bubble, bubble ..."

"Captain to the Sound Room ASAP! "

"Captain, I think we have a new class of boat out there .... "

Let you mind go wild with that one.
:devil:

Sprocket
12-01-2003, 08:51 AM
A "Whoopie cushion sluggo" is NOT a fly...

FrenchCreek
12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
This should drive the SOSIS nuts!

juro
12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
So this explains the strange propensity for fish on the flats to suddenly turn and take my fly when I get excited and fart in my waders as they approach! ;)

Hilarious!

peter-s-c
12-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by juro
So this explains the strange propensity for fish on the flats to suddenly turn and take my fly when I get excited and fart in my waders as they approach! ;)

Hilarious!

On the GLs, we call that chumming.