Bottom Hugging Damsel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bottom Hugging Damsel

MCorder
11-27-2003, 11:09 PM
After a quick search of the internet looking at real Damsel Nympths I noticed that almost all of them that were on the bottom had there tail extemded upward clutching a rock or twig. After a little thought I tied this one, could be good for still water. :confused:
I tied this one with mono legs because I wanted to see if I could tie a fly that would stand up on its own for a picture. The working modle had peacock legs and a strip of lead on the bottom along with the bead eye's to keep it upright.

flytyer
11-28-2003, 06:40 PM
This looks like a TARCHER NYMPH tied in damsel nymph colors. The only difference is the legs, the TARCHER NYMPHS used a hackle that then had the thorax figure 8'ed over so they stuck out the sides. This nymph design has been around for over 20 years and is a very effective one.

flyfisha1
11-28-2003, 11:54 PM
What sizes would this pattern be tied in?

MCorder
11-29-2003, 01:44 AM
I tied it in a size 12. The shape of the hook allows you to extend it and give a longer body.

flyfisha1
11-29-2003, 07:11 AM
What material is used for the legs?

MCorder
11-29-2003, 07:53 AM
The legs for the example are mono colored black. The tail is marlabou, rib is green "V-Rib", Green Rabbit dubing with flash mixed in, Turkey wing case, and bead chain eye's.

The working pattern has peacock legs and a strip of lead along the bottom, tied lengthwise to help keep the desired profile.

Tight Lines!!!

MCorder
11-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Flytyer

Thanks for the info, I found this link for Tarcher Nymph. Guess I reinvented a fly...

http://www.flyfishamerica.com/FlyTying/_Trout/IwamasaTarcherNymph.html

The Pic is from FlyFish America