Reviving Popper discussion [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reviving Popper discussion

striblue
11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Any ideas from you guys as to comming up with new popper designs... Here are some I did last year and am trying to improve on them... what ideas are out there.

MCorder
11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
A few years ago I started tying my popers with a joint. Shorter hook for main body and tail tied on trailing hook. Gives a good wounded baitfish look.

Dble Haul
11-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey, I really like that flatwing popper.......:devil:

John, did you have an opportunity to fish any of these over the season?

striblue
11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Mark.. in late august I was off south beach in a boat and had luck with the big Banger and the mack imitation.... But only Blues grabbed it. But that's usually the case... at least it was that day... Blues will grab anything...Actually the epoxy applications held up well as oppose to the end result of a popper without the extra surface.

BigDave
11-26-2003, 11:38 AM
No new ideas...but I have gone almost exclusively to crease flies and gurglers over the more wind-resistant popper. Primarily becuase they're easier to cast and don't twist the line as badly.

Maybe you could apply some of your epoxy-over-feathers technique for natural coloration on these popper "variations"?

Just a thought....I like the idea of a jointed model as well...

striblue
11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Dave..Thanks..if you look back in the archives I have a bunch of Crease flies done with the feathers... will tye up some more this winter.

saltydog
11-26-2003, 07:11 PM
STRIBLUE, how about a Super Popper EEL
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:
P.S. I also have another one called HAMMERHEAD.
Ill find it an take a pic. :rolleyes:

striblue
11-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Rich, bueatiful... looks deadly... to humans that is... looks like nonchucks (sp).... anyway... great original idea... I am now thinking of that in thinner segments with feathers epoxied in ... what do you think?????

Doc Duprey
11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Interesting pattern, Mr. Saltydog. Bet it sounds like a Skyraider when it lopes past the casting side ear. Have you field tested it? I'd love to hear about the big one that you landed with it.

Best regards,

-Doc

saltydog
11-27-2003, 07:27 PM
DOC, IT'S NOT a fly to cast, best used from a boat, let out , an strip in, it is snakieee in the water if you swim it slow, if you POP IT , it has a lot of drag an makes a lot of comotionif you do one as striblue intends to do, w/ small foam ,it WILL give you better action an you can have some fun w/ it. you can use heavy mono or wire threw the foam. ;)

P.S. Ill post the HAMMERHEAD LATER this weekend when I come back.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

saltydog
11-27-2003, 07:31 PM
JOHN, YES please do, I would like to see it an YES the SMALL foam will work GREAT, should be a nice fly.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: