My first Shrimp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: My first Shrimp

MCorder
11-23-2003, 03:07 PM
This is my first attempt at making a "Shrimp Fly".

MCorder
11-23-2003, 03:08 PM
another view

striblue
11-23-2003, 04:59 PM
M.... Bueatiful!... great color and shape! When you get a chance post the recipe... Great job... does not look like a first time shrimp to me.

ashley
11-23-2003, 05:34 PM
nice fly,please post the receipe so I can try some,might work in other colours for atlantic salmon.

MCorder
11-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the compliments!

Here’s the recipe...

Mustad 2/0 34011
Body is Large Cactus Chenille with white palmered Schlappen
Mouth is a tuff of white rabbit
Antenna is pearl Krystal flash
burnt mono for eye’s
plastic bag for back
Ribbing is silver tinsel

MCorder
11-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Oops...epoxy on the back as well

Quentin
11-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Wow, very "shrimp"y. Great camera work too!

Q

rwolson
11-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Very nice, simple shrimp pattern

MCorder
11-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Simple:eek: !!!!!
That fly took me 20 minutes to tie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

FrenchCreek
11-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Sure looks great for a shrimp!:hehe:

flyfisha1
11-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Very nice; looks somewhat similar to one I've seen in Klausmeyer's book. That one should be quite productive!

FishHawk
11-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Pretty good tie for a rookie:D .Tie that in olive or light tan and it would be a killer on the flats of Monomoy. Hope you get a chance to come East and fish the famed flats of Monomy.
FishHawk

flyfisha1
11-25-2003, 08:08 AM
I'd imagine that that pattern would be productive in any coastal fishery. I'm sure it would catch fish all along the Eastern seaboard, as I've used similar patterns from NJ down to the Keys (both sides) and have done quite well (blues, snappers, jacks, 'cuda, and so on). I tie it as small as a 6 and as large as a 1, and in various colors (cream, orange, olive, tan, and pink) as FishHawk denotes.

Gardener
11-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ashley
nice fly,please post the receipe so I can try some,might work in other colours for atlantic salmon.

Ashley, Peter O'Reilly's 'Trout & Salmon flies of Ireland' has a salmon pattern called 'Yer Man' which is quite similar, apart from the colour scheme.

'Yer Man'

Hook: 2-6 for spring, 8-14 for summer/autumn.
Tail(Feelers): mixed red, orange & brown bucktail
Ribs: Oval gold tinsel & monofilament
Eyes 20-30lb burnt mono.
Body: Mixed red & claret seal fur
Hackle: Dark red
Shell back: 500 gauge polythene ribbed with the monofilament.

MCorder
11-25-2003, 10:10 AM
I've been noticing allot of Spec's chasing shrimp around the channels down here lately. I tied it for that purpose. I didn't use any weight and the tail is slightly elevated to keep it on top of the water, like a skipping shrimp being chased.

Later

saltydog
11-25-2003, 11:52 AM
MCORDER, VERY NICE, for your FIRST time, shows a lot of talent, If I can make a SUG-GESTION, when you tie your next ones tie w/ the HOOK UP, instead of down. actually you can tie it any way you like. hope you post some more flys!
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
:smokin:

saltydog
11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
MCORDER, VERY NICE, HOPE you post some more flys!
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

saltydog
11-25-2003, 12:03 PM
SORRY, DOUBBLE POSTED! must be old age. sorry!:eek:

ashley
11-25-2003, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gardener
[B]Ashley, Peter O'Reilly's 'Trout & Salmon flies of Ireland' has a salmon pattern called 'Yer Man' which is quite similar, apart from the colour scheme.

Gardener,Just had a look I'm going to tie some up soon.Wasn't there a magazine articule about the fly a few years ago?
I'm going to do some for monomy and some for the welsh rivers.

Gardener
11-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Ashley, I don't recall that article, though there may well have been one. There certainly was a piece in T&S a couple of years ago about the 'Pot-Bellied Pig', which is also a shrimp/prawn imitation. Malcolm N (Willie Gunn) or Andy Wren might be able to give you the pattern. From memory it's along the lines of Peter Dean's 'Frances Fly', and is popular on the Ness.

Interesting how flies cross over from one area of fishing to another. I remember showing a mate some Surf Candy-type flies I tied for a trip to Nantucket last year, and he instantly snaffled a couple to use for salmon in Norway. Haven't heard if they worked, but it'd be nice if they did.

Willie Gunn
11-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Charles,
I am unable to find a pot bellied pig dressing, though I tend to agree it is very like the Frances Fly, and has been popular in the Highlands for some time.

If you ever come across it I would be interested to see it.