Stan's Momomoy Squid [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stan's Momomoy Squid

flyaweigh
11-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Here is a squid fly that at times has been outstanding for Albies in the rips around South Monomoy. When light from above shines through the plastic beads, the fly appears to have spots that light up all over the body, as does a squid at times... Stripers like it too. Since the beads come in such a wide variety of colors (even glow in the dark) the combinations are almost unlimited.
Capt Stan Mackerwicz

http://evilendeavors.com/StansFlies_files/monomoy squid.jpg

saltydog
11-23-2003, 11:20 AM
CAPT.STAN, VERY NICE, Ill have to show my son he goes NUTS over squid flys. Capt Stan are you getting the beads from a CRAFT SHOP?
'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

flyaweigh
11-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Salty, You can buy the beads at craft stores or some fabric stores also carry them. Stan

striblue
11-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Stan... GREAT!... I love the use of the beads... I got your e-mail today and I wonder if we can include one shrimp in our project?

flyaweigh
11-23-2003, 06:53 PM
John, Did you mean Squid? If so no problem.

Stan

flyaweigh
11-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Penguin

I find that the glow in the dark beads accessorize the best for night fishing.

striblue
11-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Stan... sorry... I did mean squid... I had posted a reply to MCorder on his shrimp and the word was still imbeded I Guess.

juro
11-23-2003, 10:13 PM
I remember taking that photo! I hired two beach models for that shoot. Strangely, they look a lot like Striblue and da' Penguin! ;)

I also remember putting the Atlantis prototype through some excercises that day... I recall hooking 9 fish in a short amount of time before crossing over onto the flats. The cloud cover lightened up a little and I found some nice fish on the humps willing to take on the 'dangle'.

Then if I am not mistaken I happened onto some more in the skinny stuff that were visible 110ft away and I was able to hook and land several from the pack that required the full 110ft to get a hookup.

Boy I sure came away from that day with a very convincing batch of datapoints about the Atlantis capabilities!

Penguin
11-23-2003, 10:20 PM
...NEARLY ENOUGH this year!

Let's do something about that next season!!!
:smokin:

striblue
11-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Juro... I... ahhh... Have no present recollection of that! Your fishing results, that is!:hehe: ;) :devil:

rooster
01-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Stan,
Beautiful fly. What is the material that you are using over the beads? Also, are you basically "stringing the beads" on the hook?
Lastly, what hook are you using.
Thanks,
DK

flyfisha1
01-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Phat Phly! I'll certainly have to tie a few of those for the upcoming season. Please post the recipe at your earliest convenience.

flyaweigh
01-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Chris, Monomoy Squid Recipe

Step one: crimp the barb of a 4/0 34011 hook enough to slide on seven or eight plastic tri beads in your choice of colors

Step two: flatten two sides of a pony bead(I use a grindstone) and attach two 3-D epoxy eyes, again our choice of colors

Step three: using extra fine clear thread, tie in the tentacles using marabou, saddle hackles and flash. IMPORTANT!! keep testing the size of your wrap by sliding the pony bead over it. When it fits very tightly don't add any more material.

Step four: tie in Bill's Body braid at the eye end of the hook and wrap it so it tapers forming a point and forces all the tri beads tightly against the pony bead with the eyes.

Step five: coat the body and eyes with five minute epoxy

rooster
01-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Stan,
Thank you for the recipe.
Which brand of hook are you using?
Thanks,
Rooster

jfbasser
01-03-2004, 04:54 PM
The 34011 is an O'Shaughnessy bend, straight ball eye, 3X long, heavy wire hook by Mustad

rooster
01-04-2004, 12:59 AM
basser,
Thanks for the info.
rooster