Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need a 2-3 bdrm w/ boat slip (walking distance) in Chatham late June/early July '04

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
I rented a house last year on Oyster R. w/ a slip for my 19' Bay and it worked out well. I found one in N. Chatham (on Ryder's cove) for this year, but am unsure of the distance from there to N. Monomoy by boat? Oyster R. is all 5mph so it took 20 min. or so to get out...is Ryder's-N. Monomoy also 5mph. If not, how long does it take to make that run @cruising speed? Thx.

#2 ·
You can't get there from here!?...

Close but NO CIGAR...
Ryder's Cove is up the channel towards Pleasant Bay.
To get to N.Monomoy you would have to make your way down past the Chatham light and go out "the cut" into sometimes big ocean water...head SouthWest past South Beach (on the outside). Negotiate back inside between S.Beach and S.Monomoy and run the maze back up to N.Monomoy. Probably 12-15 miles and weather sensitive due to BigOcean potential. Or you could go all around S.Monomoy (Handkercheif Shoals can be REALLY exciting and you could meet the Coast Guard up close and personal) then up the West side to the Common Flats or N.Monomoy (West side)... YIKES! Bon voyage!

But on the more positive note...You'll have great access to Pleasant Bay which can be quite good (if warm water hasn't chased all the stripes back out into deep/cool water)...

#3 ·
Hi Mark -

Late June / early July is not the best time to be fishing PB, but the bay can as our farside local says be "hot". Particularly if you focus on the inlet during tide changes and focus on the predominant bait, usually sand eels that time of year.

Like others I have a few Monomoy-esque venues on that side of the spit if you get interested in exploring give me a buzz when you are in town and I'd be happy to collaborate.

Even if the run to the tub is highly dependent on weather, the outside reached best by Ryder's can be even better than the inside in terms of catching.

If you are hooked on sight fishing, let me first say I can relate. That being said, there is some outstanding fishing from Ryder's as a home base that time of year!

Juro
contact info: ChathamAngler.com

#4 ·
Thx guys...much appreciated. Yes, Juro...I am hooked on sight fishing. My options to do it on LI are limited, so I am bent to live like you lucky natives when I go up there.
From a map it looks like I can get to S. beach/ N. Monomoy from the inside...so i'm glad that I asked. I can run in pretty skinny H2O w/ my boat, does that matter or is there no way to get there from the inside?

#5 ·
About the maps...

Most maps of the Chatham/South Beach area are NOT current & NOT correct!
They reflect the way it was BEFORE the cut in front of the light house...You CANNOT get to the Monomoys from Pleasant Bay without running OUTSIDE down past South Beach. Trust me!

After the cut was formed, a tombolo developed that closed the old channel and connected what is now South Beach to the area southwest of the light house...before that, there was a wide channel that went past the light house and into the area we commonly refer to at the INSIDE. Most maps don't reflect the tombolo but show how it was BEFORE the cut was formed.

You CANNOT get to the Monomoys from Ryder's Cove/Pleasant Bay without a 6 mile run OUTSIDE!

#6 ·
You need a newer map :)

There is NO WAY you can access the inside any longer, in fact not since the 80's. Terra firma has reached out and joined the spit that used to be south Nauset Beach and formed what is now referred to as "South Beach", a peninsula starting at the Chatham lighthouse and extending to a parrallel just south of the northern tip of South Monomoy Island.

The only way is to exit at Chatham Inlet, run down the length of South Beach, and come inside the inlet unless of course you want to continue several miles to the south and come 'round the Monomoy Rip. The only time you'd consider that is when your target area is west Common Flats and the passage is dry from the tub. From a flats knowledge perspective, that would be a big mistake in terms of the fishing opportunities unless it was fall when the bunker are in Nantucket Sound. You'll know because the Stage Inlet / Hardings adult bunker showing will be drawing the local live-liners to the beach daily.

There are excellent sight fishing opportunities easily accessible from Ryders that time of year. Not always as good as Monomoy or Brewster Flats, but pretty damn good and if you aren't adverse to big cows in the shoreline rips you'd be in a damn good position to make such sorties.

What kind of boat are you running?

#10 ·
Mark... must agree with Juro and Penguin on their info... but you will have great fishing off south beach and if you take the run north along nauset it can be excellent....not to mention the whale pods that hang out within 5 miles at times... with big stripers, Blues and maybe... if your in luck...tuna. I have made that rum before and gone into the Tub from the outside a nd on a good day weather wise it's not too bad.

#11 ·
maybe, on that map????

John and Juro,

his map may be right after a winter of storms!!! :eyecrazy: :hehe: :chuckle: you never know what good ol' mother nature will do down there:tsk_tsk:

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

Tom D

#12 ·
Same to you Tom!

I sure hope Mother Nature doesn't take back the gift of foot passage to the outer beaches from the lighthouse lot... we'd all have to drive to Orleans to fish South Beach, and only w/ 4x4 access and a half hour of driving oversand. Rip Ryder's gets us there but it's nice having the early bird option or the off hours sortie'. The Chatham break has been a blessing to shorebound anglers and I hope it lasts.

The changes in the channel structure (especially after recent dredging) have been dramatic. I liked 2002 better, ala mecca, and the mid-late 80's were awesome as well. But change is constant and each season brings a new pattern and new adventures in the inlet at the break. I'd definitely call the break a big part of my "home water" as many others would, striblue et. al.

It's only November and I can't wait for next year on the "home water"!

#13 ·
Thanks Tom, and same to you.... I was down there last week and , if anything, it appears that the bowl is filling in more... In fact I think , absent any real major changes ,we will be able to walk to the out bars easily as well as to the back or east side of the mecca.... as well as fish facing north beach over the current channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.