What's a Kirby hook? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What's a Kirby hook?

11-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Someone gave me their hooks in this old container.
They are Mustad Kirby hooks. What are these?
Can they be adapted to anything?.:confused:

- - - - - -Striperknight

11-17-2003, 11:42 PM
Kirbed (or kirby) hooks are hooks that have a slight outward bend of the point that begins at mid-bend. The bend can be either the left or right. Also, most kribed hooks have extra sliced (or barbs) cut into the hook bend. They were really designed for bait.

They can be used for flies; but they can cause a fly tied on them to wobble weirdly or swim on its side.