Skate Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Skate Fly

striblue
11-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Here is a first attempt.... I really was working on coloration first. The eyes really can't be seem since they at at 45 degree angles out to the sides..not directly on top supported by a mound of epoxy. The body of the fly is Ring Neck Pheasant WING feathers instead of the neck feathers. The tail is three different lengths of Indian Cock ginger saddle, and different colors...light over darker. Problem Number one is the size.. there are two extra large dumbell eyes. Weight and castability is not known yet. I will go back and make it lighter and use soft body or a different body covering instead of the epoxy because of concern with the hook practicality... Anyway..I think I have step one which is the coloration of the juvie Clear-nose skate. The small skates bodies are less sharp at the points than the adult.

BigDave
11-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Cool!

Doc Duprey
11-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Amazing, John...just amazing.

When does your book come out?

-Doc

rwolson
11-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Very good looking fly. You are a true artist.

May I suggest making a keel using lead strips or non-toxic wire in place of the dumbell eyes? Also, maybe a small dumbell eye at the hook's eye to provide a nose down attitude?

striblue
11-14-2003, 10:00 PM
RW... I thought of that and Dave Fix recomended something similar... but i am not sure the weight would be right.. There are larady two dumbells underbeath... one at the hook eye and one at the hook bend. I will work on it.

MCorder
11-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Great looking fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Miller
11-16-2003, 04:02 PM
John
That is very cool. How do you swim it?

striblue
11-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Jim...I don't really know... but I guess I would swim it very slow but strip a bit faster than ..say the Flounder.

rwolson
11-16-2003, 07:02 PM
My question, do the skates primarily sit on the bottom and cover temselves with sand and emerge when they see prey?

I've only caught a couple in my lifetime