Broomfield, Colorado - suggestions? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Broomfield, Colorado - suggestions?

TinMan
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Will be there for a few days in the next few weeks - any suggestions for using my 4wt?

Brad
11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
How much time and motivation do you have? I hit the north platte yesterday and it is really heating up. We hooked about 40 fish, landed about half that and lost some very big fish. I brought home my one fish for the year a fat 22" rainbow. The problem is that it is a solid 4 hours from Broomfield. 11 Mile canyon is still good in the afternoon at a bit over 2 hours away. There might still be some kokanee in the Dream Stream. The closest would be the Big Thompson at about an hour or so.

Brad

dewey
11-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I'd suggest Cheeseman canyon - 1 1/2 hours.
Then you could do boulder creek or south boulder creek - just in the town of boulder. not too far. Nothing too special but plenty of 10-12 inch trout.
Then there's lots of bass ponds out on the front range, too...

Brad
11-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately Cheesman Canyon is not what it used to be before the Hayman fire. A massive mudslide and runnoff from the burn area has put a ton of ash and sediment into the water. Deckers is all but unfishable and as a result there are more people walking up into the canyon. If you do decide to go the reports indicate that the flows are up and that the clearest water is close to the dam.

Good Luck
Brad

Brad
12-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Where did you end up? Hit the Big Thompson friday and did well on streamers for the browns and eggs for the rainbows.

Brad