1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Striper 
#1 · (Edited)
It was a nice day for a drive . . .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Or maybe not...

Quentin,

I waded out to the rock island just off the jetties at Ocean beach. There were fish breaking a few hundred yards out for most of the afternoon. As the tide turned in so did the fish. There is a rip that set up just off the island and there were numerous schoolie bass landed up to about 24" between myself and a gentlemen I met out there. We did see what may have been a pod of bonito crash just out of range. All in all it was a great day to break in my new 9wt RPLXi that came in the mail Friday.

Sean

#3 ·
Awesome! Glad you did better than I did! I figured there should be some fish around but I didn't see any bait or predators while I was there. Headed to Old Saybrook for some schoolies and shad and couldn't find anything there either.

Q

#5 ·
Very nice!

Fishhawk,

Initial outing yielded very nice results. I have not cast the XP and to be honest only casted the RPLXi a few times at the shows a year ago. Got it because it was too good a deal to pass up before there were no more around. You can really feel the rod load but it fires back with great line spead.

Sean

#6 ·
Quentin- Did you get there before first light? Inquiring minds would like to know.....:)

Your lack of action at Old Saybrook puzzles me, especially since everything seems to be running a bit late this year. Perhaps it was just an off tide or something.

Thanks for the report. Very timely!

#7 ·
Mark, I did not try to beat the sunrise because of the frigid temperatures. I started at Ocean Beach at around 11:30 a.m. and only stayed for about an hour (maybe less). Got to Old Saybrook at around 1:00 or 1:30 and stayed for about 2 hours. Outgoing tide at both locations. I spoke with other fishermen at both places and they said nothing had been happening during the time they were there.

I wondered about the lack of action at the causeway myself. Another fisherman that I spoke with also seemed surprised and commented that it was "a fish on every cast" last year at this time. The action may have picked up as the tide bottomed out and the sun went down, but I didn't stick around to find out. The water was still murky but not nearly as bad as last weekend.

When I posted the report I thought that I probably wouldn't be making the trip down again this year, but after reading Sean's report I may have to change my mind!

Q

#8 ·
I wouldn't give up yet I think things have not happened yet and it is going to happen. Problem is I think everyone will have already packed it in by then and when we do hear about it if we do it will be too late. I could be wrong but things are just not right and the only thing that makes sense is that things are still very late this year. Still have not seen any real migration around my neck of the woods and that is really odd, usually by this time the big push has happened and it is schoolie heaven until thanksgiving. I am keeping my eye on things and if I see or hear anything I will let you know.

Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.